[GeoSTL] Re: Konopapw hits 200

  • From: Paul Konopacki <konopapw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 12:56:00 -0500

It took about an hour of driving to finally find the right
road for Man's Best Friend.  It is a neat place once you
get there.  The dirt road was very dusty.  I feel sorry
for the folks who live right next to it.

Someone posted new coordinates for Nature Nut and
I used those instead of the ones at the top of the cache
page.  But you know my GPS, it took me 15 strides
away from where the cache really was, anyway. The
people who logged the cache find before me gave away
the cache location in their description.  One of them left
a walking stick leaning against the object and they left
the cache very much exposed.

I used info from someone's log to pretty much take
me right to where I thought the Pickle Creek cache might
be.  I read the logbook a bit and there were some young
partiers who found the cache by accident.  They wrote
that they thought it was a neat idea (and that they were
stoned at the time...)  Nice of them to put it back.

Twice I almost bailed on Red Bluff.  The first time,
I thought the map was lying to me because I was
trying to cross the water by road and the road I
was on wasn't going that direction.The second time I
thought I was on the wrong side of the water, which
I didn't find out later was just a shallow creek and
not a big raging river.

The caretaker who took my $2 parking fee gave me
an idea of where a trail might be to get to the top of
the bluff.  I showed him on my printed topo map
where I wanted to go, but he didn't ask me why.

I tried real hard to get to Berryman #1 cache, but
missed the turnoff to the Brazil creek campground.  I
was tired, I was still wearing my soaking wet
hiking shoes from Red Bluff and there was only an
hour of daylight left, so maybe it was for the best!