[GeoStL] Geocaching vs Munzee's

  • From: "Mr. EX-President" <mogamoga2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Geocaching Newsgroup <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 16:42:26 -0600

I would like to share to everyone the problem I encountered today between
Geocaching and Munzee's.  I went to do some maintenance on some of my caches
today, and to my surprise, I found a Munzee a few feet away from my geocaching
container.  I was made aware by the munzee owner that they were doing this, but
I did not expect them to be in sight of my geocache.  I called the munzee owner
and asked him/her this question: "Are all munzee seekers also geocachers?"  The
answer was that most of them are geocachers, but probably not all.  I then
asked, "Since all munzee seekers are not geocachers, aren't you therefore,
inviting muggles to find my geocache and possibly take it?"  The munzee owner
did not think of that possibility and volunteered to move the munzee's away
from my cache location.

I think there is a place for geocaches and I think there is a place for
munzee's, but I do not think they should be in the same place.  If any other
munzee hiders have them placed next to my caches, would you please move them
some distance away from my cache so it is not possible for the location to be
discovered by a muggle munzee seeker.

I am curious how other geocachers and munzee seekers feel about this.  So I
invite your comments.  Thanks

L Frank