[GeoStL] Re: Geocaching U website question

  • From: "BottomFeeder" <BottomFeeder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 16:28:10 -0600

-

Bluetooth is generally known as a 'Personal Area Network' technology. =
Range
between communicating devices has generally been limited to ~ 30
ft....though lately I've been seeing much greaer ranges advertised in =
newer
devices. USB really isn't involved except that few desk/laptops have
built-in BT capabilities, so many users wind up purchasing a BT 'dongle' =
plug in a USB port on their machines.

Probably the most common BT usage is between cell phones and pda's (both
need the capability obviously). Lot of folks use the BT equipped phone =
as a
modem to the pda to collect email, do a little web surfing on the pda. =
That
usage is supposedly very big in Europe. Personally, I don't need/want to =
be
*that* connected, but to each his own.:)

But there are more and more BT equipped devices coming to market. =
Everything
from GPRSr's to keyboards/mice, phone headsets, etc. It's interesting =
stuff,
but I could live without it.

Agree on the built-in cameras. It's reaching the point where you have
trouble finding a gadget that doesn't have one these days, but the =
quality
is just bollocks in most cases. About the only reason I'd probably use =
the
one in my semi 'SmartPhone' would be if I were involved in an auto =
accident
and wanted to have something on record for the insurance co......or some
such.

     -=3D Russ =3D-  (BotFee)

Subject field