[GeoStL] Re: Geocaching U website question

  • From: Jim Everman <everman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:22:00 -0600

-
BottomFeeder wrote:
> -
> If you only use it for geocaching and do as Bruce has described, you  don't
> really need to spend big $$ for a top of the line unit. Most any of the
> ppc's will do. If you consider any of the 'extras', consider bluetooth.
> There are a number of bluetooth gpsr's available these days, and if you ever
> feel the need to replace what you're using today, the ppc can help fill the
> void. It takes a little shopping, but I've seen bluetooth gpsr's for ~ $100
> recently.

  I'm sure I'll come up with other uses. :-) But at least initially I
just want something to carry other than paper. I travel a bit and it's
pretty impractical print cache sheets on the road.

  I know little of bluetooth other than it is some sort of wireless USB
sort of thing. I can see possible advantages. I had someone tell me to
consider something with a built in camera. I do take my camera with me,
it is great for things like Brawny Bear's mysterys. Photo the stories,
solve them *again* later. <g> But most built-in cameras don't have the
resolution or magnified viewing to permit that. Scratch the built in
camera..

  Speaking of mysteries, I still have one to do. I think I'll check the
weather.

  Geo Jim

>>  I'm considering getting something strictly for geocaching.
>>Currently
>>have a Thinkpad 600E and would use it to supplement whatever pocket
>>device I get. I use GSAK a lot.
>>
>>  Any tips?
>>
>>   Geo Jim

Subject field