[GeoStL] Re: Garmin repair

  • From: "Mike Miesner" <mmeese1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 00:34:00 -0500

-
I took your advice and called Garmin today. After descibing the problem I
was having, I got the impression that he would take care of it. He then
asked if it was a Vista or VistCx...thats when things went downhill for me.
The rep told me that the Vista was no longer being manufactered so he would
have to charge the $125.00. If it would have been the Cx he siad he could
have "done something" for me.
I tried repairing it myself and so far it works fine ! The screen no longer
flickers and the thumb switch works cleanly. The repair took about 1/2 hour
and was pretty easy. I haven't tried it out in the field yet, but at least
for now things are working well. The unit is no longer waterproof, but it
should hold up for a while.

The repair instruction I used were found at      *http://tinyurl.com/av99a

*Thanks to all who offered suggestions !!

mmeese
Mike