[GeoStL] Re: GS and Google maps costs

  • From: Richard Rouse <rrouse2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GeoCaching Freelist <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 10:08:25 -0600

I would not want to see the Geocaching.com Premium Membership costs go up just
for maps you can use from other sources. Besides the FireFox plug-in workaround
works great.

GeoConformity

From: GC-RGS@xxxxxxxxxx
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] GS and Google maps costs
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 22:47:20 -0600

Don’t shoot the messenger, I’m just passing this on.

Found this link tonight concerning Groundspeak and their Google map costs. This
paragraph caught my eye

As the Latitude 47 blogs points out today, the Geocaching.com website firmly
sits in the high-user category – the 0.35 per cent of sites that Google said
would be impacted by this license change. Groundspeak states that it is serving
around two million map loads each and every day. When you work through the
numbers, Google’s new charges actually amount to significant amounts of money.
Two million map loads a day translate to US$7900 for one day of Google Maps.
Multiply this across a standard 365-day year and you’re talking US$2.88 million
– just for serving embedded Google Maps. And this figure does not even account
for continued growth in geocaching worldwide, in terms of more caches and more
cachers, both of which will increase the company’s costs. Google Maps Premier
License is possibly an option – the pricing is not publicly available for
comparison - but I understand it starts from US$10,000 per year. I expect for
the number of map loads that Geocaching.com is providing that a Premier License
will be far more expensive than this.

Here’s the link if you want to read the whole article.
http://www.notaboutthenumbers.com/2012/02/16/new-geocaching-com-maps-and-the-google-issue/