[GeoStL] Re: Frustration in picking caches

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 18:56:22 -0700 (PDT)

I did a couple of caches in and around Denver when I was there and one of the
caches I did was a 2/2 ....Turned out to be on TOP of a local mountain and
there was a 3 mile hike one way ,,,,,,we also had to put up with sage
brush...rattlesnakes and BIG deer.....it was a neat cache and a lot of good pix
but wow here it would have been a 4/4.....But there are some if you watch them
close....we did one in Denver that was in a bird sanctuary that was flat and an
easy walk. There were 2 or 3 in Rapid City that I did that were easy and not
bad walks ...interesting things there too .....and I downloaded and wanted to
do about 10 of them in Omaha that were city caches and and river caches

Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
-
As you have discovered, the rating system (1-5... ) is very relative
to what the locals have in mind and what they are used to. In
Colorado, where everybody expects a walk up a hill, they might call
a 2 mile walk up a hill a 2 because that is what they all
are. "Nothing special, just a 2 mile walk up a hill". Around here,
we would call it a 4 since we dont really see those kinds of hills.
In the desert you could see a lot of "bring plenty of water and a 4x4
for this easy 2/2 cache and 4 mile walk." That would be a 4/5 , for
long walk, special equipment, ect. So ya really have to take the
ratings with a grain of salt and with the local environment in mind.

Glenn
I dont venture into the shark infested forums either. I have survived
much better than most folks there.

At 12:44 PM 8/11/2005, you wrote:
>Ya Think?? ;+)
>
>We might not be the most prolific cachers, but I do read a LOT and
>know better than to go to the forums and start or even join in on
>most conversations there. Some of the forum regulars appear to live
>for fresh meat. I do read the forums and pick up all the
>interesting "gossip" and changes.. but to really join in .. no way.
>
>Did you get "markwelled" with a topic like rating systems?
>Theoretically, there IS a rating system somewhere. There's a link
>from the SLAGA site I believe. The problem I'm running into for a
>vacation is that while a 1.5 - 2 terrain that includes a 4 mile
>"walk" might be doable here, it's probably not a wise choice for US
>on vacation -- unless there's a great payoff at the end. I'm not
>finding a ton of those -- with a payoff.
>
>And, Bernie's PQ suggestion .. well ..that could eliminate some
>nice caches that may or may not fit into our vacation plans. And,
>without a nice description it would appear that even a "less than 1"
>rating means something different in some areas than here. I looked
>at one that was a 1 rating and pictures people posted showed a rocky
>unpaved minimountain with captions like "Whew.. tough hill without
>a path" "did this one after a rain and slid 30 feet into a
>creek" It's very possible that the cache placers in that area not
>as big of wimps as I am lol. I've run across quite a few
>grandfathered caches that were placed by people visiting on
>vacation. Geostandards have changed a bit in 4-5 years too.
>
>I've concluded that in this area we're better at describing the
>terrain with one-legged pregnant cachers in mind.

Subject field

http://mail.yahoo.com