[GeoStL] Re: Challenging the NPS ban on geocaching RE: Re: FW: ohiobill c...

  • From: Budlvr40@xxxxxxx
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:24:03 EDT

Jim, and others;
   Let me start by stating that I am not an attorney. I have no legal
training at all, but, to me, (with all due respect) the tone and content of
the letter  seems mixed and may not be the draft you would want to send, if
in fact you are in line to start a serious, protracted challenge of their
interpretation of Federal Law.
  Suggestion;
  ; I would not start this discussion of the Rangers activity , no matter how
out-of-bounds, using the words " capricious, unconstitutional, or illegal"--
they sound too  confrontational, especially in a first contact letter.
  ; While I think that all of your points of discussion are honest , factual,
and passionate, I believe the discussion should, in the first volley, stick
to one theme-
  - the points enumerating geocachers concern and consideration of the
surroundings is a great place to start the discussion!  However,  I believe
when the switch is made toward the legal definitions and supporting
information, the tone of the letter changes. I think sticking to one argument
would be better as a strategy;
  ; put our concerns and questions to THEM; Let THEM respond, with their
reasoning and arguments, letting them state what statutes or interpretations
they base their arguments on-- this will give us a basis on which to respond.
  ; At some later date it will be necessary to bring out a somewhat more
"legalese response" to their arguments-  I would hope we may have an attorney
as a member to frame this response .

  I hope this makes some sense.
                                 budlvr40 (bob osterholt)

   I hope the above