[GeoStL] Re: Challenging the NPS ban on geocaching RE: Re: FW: ohiobill c...

  • From: JimSGreene@xxxxxxx
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 02:03:33 EDT

  Jim,
  I just read your letter, and the posted comments on it. I agree that maybe
your first comments on "unreasonable, arbitrary, capricious, illegal, and
unconstitutional efforts" seem a little strong for this opening letter. Any
attacks on individual personnel also might be taken out for now. I think
those might tend to draw the Park service people together out of loyalty to
fellow workers. Also, please leave out that you know where he lives, that
will really upset some of them.
  From dealing with stubborn nursing home staff for many years, I think our
best bet might be to quietly seek out someone at a higher level, and use a
reasoned plea for acceptance of our recreational activity.
  For dealing with these people now, I think you should put in a request for
a detailed list of their objections to Geocaching, and perhaps point out that
it is a very easy to monitor activity.
  You might try throwing in something along these lines:
       Sir, we feel that in almost all regards, that Geocaching is a very
non-invasive and benign activity that we wish you would consider allowing in
park domain. We make use of existing trails, and use areas in much the same
way as hikers, bird-watchers, mushroom gatherers, and general explorers. We
have a deep respect for all natural resources and environments...... (it's
late and I'm running low on caffeine).
 Another thing we might try: lets get a couple of nice caches picked out, and
invite some of the powers that be to come out with us for some caching. We
are a good group of people, and maybe if we show them what we are like, and
us in action, it would probably help us out considerably.
  These are just some thoughts off the top of my tired head. I appreciate the
considerable work you have done on your letter and efforts on our behalf, and
if there is anything I can do to help. let me know.  And if I can finally get
the Meet with your Government Agents" by Glenn (S.L.A.G.A. member) (GC36F3)
cache logged as a "find" too, I will really be happy
  Jim
  (Strider)