[GeoStL] Re: Caching in National Parks: Caching, Horse manure, and the National Park Service's meeting for a new Park Plan

  • From: "M. Bollinger" <lazylightning3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 20:03:26 -0700 (PDT)

-
Jim,

  I am not going to comment on the horses and thier polution, but I would like
to comment on geocaching on NPS land.  I feel that every inch of our National
Park System should be considered sensitive areas.  Consider the hundreds of
thousands or millions of visitors that each park get each year and imagine the
geotrails you would find in very short order.  Horses are kept on established
trails, geocachers aren't.

  I just got back from Washington on Wednesday and, as on all of my vacations,
I spend about 80-90% of my time in National Parks.  I was at Ranier, St.
Helens, Olympic and Cascades and they became National Parks because they are
such beautiful and unique areas.  They are the BEST of the best!  Don't get me
wrong, I LOVE to cache but that pales in comparison to not seeing geotrails in
sub-alpine tundra meadows at Ranier.  I'm not a big fan of virtuals (and that's
all you get in NPS land) but I'd much rather havie that than seeing a place
where someone destroyed an area by turning over every rock and log looking for
film canister.  I've seen how geocachers treat land when they are looking for a
cache and it's not very pretty.
  I met several NPS employees who were geocachers too and they feel as I do.
There are pleanty of places to put caches but National Parks shouldn't be among
them.

Jim Bensman <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I think the message to the NPS should be, yes there are sensitive areas in
all National Parks and they should be protected. However, there are areas
where geocaching can be done without problems. Instead of banning
geocaching, the NPS should provide rules to make sure the caches are placed
in a proper location and to help with the interpretation of the National
Park.