[GeoStL] Re: Caches in kids playgrounds

  • From: "M. Bollinger" <lazylightning3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:16:02 -0700 (PDT)

-
Ahhhh this is one of the benefits of having a kid!  My
son Mark (GeoDude) has helped me so many times with
this.  No problem finding a playground cache, "I'm
with that kid!"  Lots of folks around, no problem,
"Mark, I'm gonna throw this ball to you, let it go and
let it roll all the way over there, where the cache
is!"  "Hey Mark, stand over there while I take your
picture, then reach down and get the cache!"

Jim, is there someone's child who you are friends with
that you can take him Geocaching?  You'll be doing him
a favor by showing him a new game and he'll be doing
you a favor by giving you cover!

--- Jim Bensman <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> -
> Lately I have been feeling very frustrated with
> caches being placed in kids
> playgrounds, particularly busy ones.  There are a
> couple I have gone to 3
> times and have not been able to hunt the caches with
> kids playing on the
> toys.  There is even one by me that the directions
> indicate you have to
> climb up on the kids toys to get the cache.
>
> If you go hunting those caches when the kids are
> there (which is most of the
> time) you are likely to get the cops called on you
> as a child molester or
> something like that.
>
> You are usually told the area is busy so you need to
> be discrete.  How can
> someone without a little kid with them be discrete?
>

> It seems to me a cache should not be placed in a
> location that is not
> reasonably accessible most of the time.  When you
> look at these cache pages
> you see lots of comments about the problems with the
> kids, but the owners do
> not seem to get it.
>
> What is the best way to deal with a cache in a kid's
> playground?  I think
> there needs to be a rule not allowing a cache in a
> children's playground.  I
> also think if you need to be discrete to retrieve a
> cache, it is likely not
> in a good location.
>

> Jim Bensman
> "Nature Bats Last"