[GeoStL] Re: Caches Along the Highway

  • From: bromley@xxxxxxx
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bart Cross <bartcross@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 10:01:32 -0500

-
Bart,

If you're using GSAK, there is a macro out on the GSAK support site under user
macros.  It is called "Routeme.txt" and will do a lot of what you want.  It
does require a couple of extra pieces of free software (wget and a certain
special version of GPSBabel).  What the macro will do is figure the best route
between two selected items and then call out to Google, get Google's suggested
route and then mark all the caches along that route that fit a distance
criteria that you provide.  It is pretty slick.  Unfortunately, the newest beta
version of GPSBable (the one that fixes USB for Garmin) doesn't contain the
necessary conversion stuff.

If you have time, take a look at the macro.  It is really slick and does what
you want, provided that GSAK has the necessary waypoints.

Steve aka javapgmr