[GeoStL] Re: Bucket List

  • From: "David Diederich" <d-a-v-e@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 07:43:34 -0600

-
Thanks.  It was the big 50 birthday.

For training, I hiked with a full backpack a minimum of 10 miles every
weekend for two months prior to going.  I pretty much hit every trail in
west county including Castlewood, Packwood Estates, West Tyson, Greensfelder
and Rockwood (doing caches along the way).

While I was at the ranch, I met a 74 year old guy that had just walked
non-stop from the South Rim to the Ranch (10 miles) up to the North Rim (14
miles) back down to the Ranch (14 miles) and when I saw him he was headed
back up towards the South Rim (10 miles).  He said that he used to do it
with a bunch of guys, but that he was the only one left.

I met a lot of people that were hiking rim to ranch to rim in the same day.
The NPS doesn't recommend it.  Others were jogging the whole way.  They must
live in some higher elevations than I do, the altitude difference was tuff.

The sunrise was taken with 60 photos taken one minute apart and then I used
software to combine them into a movie.  I think it came out pretty good.

Island-Dave