[GeoStL] Re: BruceS Event on calendar

  • From: "Terry St. Clair" <tlstclair742@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 13:05:41 -0600

-
I've backpacked this trail a number of times.  I think it is one of
Missouri's best trails, a lot of scenery, the entire loop is about 18 miles.
If any of you decide to do a weekend hike and camp along the trail I would
suggest leaving from the Paddy Creek Campground, which is north of Highway
32, about 15 miles or so west of Licking.  The most scenic views are had by
hiking the trail counterclockwise.  If you leave from Paddy Creek plan on a
long, hard, uphill hike for the first hour or so.  If you leave from Roby
the going isn't bad, it's relatively level on that end of the trail.  The
going gets tough when you start down to Paddy Creek, or come up from it to
hike back to Roby lake.
You shouldn't have any problem finding the trail, it's pretty well worn and
easy to see.  Many parts of the trail traverse old logging and farm roads.
There are also trail markers nailed to trees that are easy to spot.
About halfway between the Roby Lake Trailhead and the Paddy Creek
Campground, on the southern loop, there are magnificent views from a
ridgetop.  The last time I hiked the trail I camped for the night on the
ridgetop, in a heavy stand of pines; sunrise was spectacular.
This is a wilderness trail so don't expect much in the way of amenities.
Water and restrooms are available at the Paddy Creek Campground, so in most
other areas you'll have to dig a cathole for potty purposes and filter water
if you don't carry it with you.  Have a great time, wish I could be there
and make a weekend of it, but I can't.
Terry