[GeoStL] Re: Benchmarks

  • From: Roger Barnes <rogbarn@xxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 23:02:34 -0500

Paul Konopacki wrote:

> Is the groundspeak benchmark database tied in with the
> official government database in any way?  For instance, if
> you find a benchmark and log it at geocaching.com, does
> that get registered automatically as a 'recovery' in some
> other database?

No.  Two separate things to do.  Many only log their finds on
geocaching.  Some take the time and effort to go to the NGS site and
submit recovery reports.  There is no need to do that, but it lets
everyone know what is still there.  Keep in mind that the NGS doesn't
use these markers, they only maintain the database for the commerce of
the United States (i.e. surveyors and others who want/need to know exact
locations).  They are the ones you ultimately help when submitting
reports to the NGS.

John Kinder wrote:

> I've run across a number of Army Corps of Engineers benchmarks, but I was
> never able to find those in a benchmark database. Anyone every seen these
> cataloged somewhere?

USACE is the most mentioned group of benchmarks by people wanting to
know where to find them so they can log them.  No one has found an
online database.  Some suggest that you should keep a manual log with
pictures if you have them and post it somewhere.  Personally, I don't
see the benefit of spending the time and effort.  On the other hand, I
haven't found any like that yet.

Keep it up!

Roger
Our NEW WebPage!   WWW.GeoStL.com
Mail List & Archive Info.
Msg. of the day, "The peacemaking meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict."