[GeoStL] Re: Benchmarks

  • From: Rudy Johnston <rudyjhnstn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:42:53 -0700 (PDT)

(i.e. surveyors and others who
> want/need to know exact
> locations).   This is an intersting statement, in
that, in every instance where I have been successful
locating a benchmark, only my skills developed through
geocaching have allowed me to find these.  Not one has
been within 50ft (some as far away as 125ft) from the
coordinats listed on the benchmark pages.  The only
other time I've experienced this type of error was
when my GPSR somehow converted to the Irish datum
rather than the......  oh oh  Since the benchmark
datum is NAD-83 rather that WGS-84 and my trusty GPSR
is set on WGS-84....  No wonder I can't find these
things!  If the two settings are off enough, I get to
retry all those unfound benchmarks. correct?
txsyank

--- Roger Barnes <rogbarn@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Paul Konopacki wrote:
> >
> > Is the groundspeak benchmark database tied in with
> the
> > official government database in any way?  For
> instance, if
> > you find a benchmark and log it at geocaching.com,
> does
> > that get registered automatically as a 'recovery'
> in some
> > other database?
> >

> No.  Two separate things to do.  Many only log their
> finds on
> geocaching.  Some take the time and effort to go to
> the NGS site and
> submit recovery reports.  There is no need to do
> that, but it lets
> everyone know what is still there.  Keep in mind
> that the NGS doesn't
> use these markers, they only maintain the database
> for the commerce of
> the United States (i.e. surveyors and others who
> want/need to know exact
> locations).  They are the ones you ultimately help
> when submitting
> reports to the NGS.
>
> John Kinder wrote:
> >
> > I've run across a number of Army Corps of
> Engineers benchmarks, but I was
> > never able to find those in a benchmark database.
> Anyone every seen these
> > cataloged somewhere?
> >

> USACE is the most mentioned group of benchmarks by
> people wanting to
> know where to find them so they can log them.  No
> one has found an
> online database.  Some suggest that you should keep
> a manual log with
> pictures if you have them and post it somewhere.
> Personally, I don't
> see the benefit of spending the time and effort.  On
> the other hand, I
> haven't found any like that yet.
>
> Keep it up!
>
> Roger

> Our NEW WebPage!   WWW.GeoStL.com
> Mail List & Archive Info.

> Msg. of the day, "The peacemaking meeting scheduled
> for today has been cancelled due to a conflict."
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com