[GeoStL] Re: Bellefontaine Neighbors Placing Update

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:11:24 -0500

-
I do hope that she ignores most of what srpingfield has done with their
guidelines. They have killed caching in springfield. I dont think I have
listed more than one or two caches there in the last year or so. They
would have done much better to model after stl county parks. If you
havent seen the springfield geocaching guidelines I have included them
below.
It takes a LONG time to get anything done in Springfield. There are only
23 steps to the form. Must folks just give up.
------------

GEOCACHING – LETTER BOXING – MEDALLION
POLICY GUIDELINES
The Springfield – Greene County Park Board permits Geocaching in keeping
with its
mission “…to provide the highest quality of leisure opportunities, to
offer programs for
relaxation as well as stimulation, and to encourage personal and
community enrichment
for the citizens of Springfield and Greene County, Missouri.
For purposes of this policy and the permit, we will be using the
following definitions:
CACHE – A hidden clear container filled with a logbook, pen/pencil, and
possibly
positive trinkets; or, a Virtual Cache (see definition).
DATUM – A point or line used as a basis for calculating and measuring.
GEOCACHING – Geocaching is an adventure game for users of GPS (Global
Positioning Systems). The basic idea is to have individuals, groups,
and/or organizations
place caches and share the locations of these caches on the Internet.
GPS users can then
use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, the
Geocacher records their
find on www.geocache.com.

LETTER BOXING – A historical non-GPS form of caching utilizing:
1. Geography, history, and nature as clues.
2. Map and compass readings as clues and directions.
MULTI-CACHE – Multiple cache containers are located from information
received
from the previous container.
OFFSET CACHE – Coordinates will take the Geocacher to a location to find
a number
stamped and/or written in or on an item at the location or once at the
location, the
Geocacher will continue the search according to instructions on the
initial information
received fro www.geocache.com.
VIRTUAL CACHE – A virtual cache means there is no cache container. It’s the
location that is the cache itself. Nothing is normally traded, except
photos and
experiences.

GUIDELINES:
1. Any individual, group, or organization wishing to place a cache on a
Springfield –
Greene County Park Board site is required to complete and have approved, an
Official Geocaching Placement Permit.
2. Authority to approve the permits has been delegated to the Outdoor
Initiatives
Supervisor.
3. Permit applications may be downloaded from www.parkboard.org, or
obtained by

4. When completed, applications may be:
• Dropped off at the Northview Center in Doling Park, 301 E.
Talmage St, Springfield, MO.
• Mailed to: Outdoor Initiatives, Attn: Melvin Johnson,
Northview Center, 301 E. Talmage St, Springfield, MO 65803
• Faxed to Outdoor Initiatives at (417) 837-5905.
• E-mailed to: mjohnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
5. The standard ground rules, safety rules, and respect of property of
www.geocache.com must be followed.
6. Cache containers must display the words “Official Geocache” or
“Official Letter
Boxing” clearly on the outside of the clear container; and, contain the
“GEOCACHING – LETTER BOXING NOTE” provided when application has
been approved.
7. Cache containers and contents must be family friendly. Caches must
not contain
adult items, alcohol, food, dangerous items, drugs, firearms, fireworks,
illegal
items, or live species.
8. Caches are not to be placed:
a. In sensitive archaeological, historical, ecological areas such as
historical
buildings, caves, or locations that contain rare species.
b. Around – in – or under bridges, caves, centers, lakes – ponds,
maintenance
facilities, pools, prescribed burn areas, roadways, steep bluffs, and
waterways.
9. Cache placement in recognized environmental, natural, and wild areas
needs to be
kept to a minimum.
10. No digging or disruption of ecosystems or the ground is permitted
when placing
the cache.
11. Multi-caches are limited to five total sites, yet treated as one
cache and require
only one permit.
12. Caches and Geocachers aren’t to interfere with any on-going
activity, program, or
rental within the approved area.
13. A cache owner is limited to two cache permits in one area – park –
site at a time.
14. Placement of caches along Linear Parks – Trails will be at the
discretion of the
Springfield – Greene County Park Board delegated approver.
15. Caches are limited to the following at the discretion of the Park
Board delegated
approver:
a. A maximum of five individual caches per area – park – site.
b. A maximum of one multi-caches per area – park – site.
c. A maximum of ten virtual caches per area – park – site.
16. Cache site must be checked by its owner, or representative, at least
once monthly.
17. Cache site GPS coordinates (map and compass readings for Letter
Boxing only),
visual site location description, photo of cache site within 10-feet,
and a second
photo of cache site within 20 to 50-feet must be e-mailed to the Park Board
delegated approver at the time of the permit request.
18. New permits are valid for a trial period not longer then six months
or the end of
the calendar year, whichever is the shorter time period.
19. Renewal permit request are due in December of each year and are
issued for the
next full calendar year, 12-months maximum.
20. Springfield – Greene county Parks are closed between 2300-hours and
0600-hours
(11:00 PM and 6:00 AM); and at special event times – dates as so
designated by
the Park Board.
21. Springfield – Greene County Park Board reserves the right to request
the removal
of or remove caches that:
a. Are placed in non-approved location and/or without permit.
b. Poses a risk to Park Board users – visitors.
c. If at any time the terms of the permit are violated.
22. Springfield – Greene County Park Board area, facility, park, and
site managers
are encouraged, but not required, to open a free account on
www.geocaching.com,
produce a watch list and monitor the activity of the caches in their
locations.
GEOCACHING – LETTER BOXING NOTE
This container has been placed here with permission of the Springfield –
Greene County Park Board.
This container is part of the worldwide outdoor activity of “Geocaching” or
“Letter Boxing”.
If you found this container by accident, please return it to its original
location or to the nearest Springfield – Greene County Park Board facility.
For more information please check out:
• www.geocache.com
• www.geocaching.com
• www.letterboxing.org
• www.parkboard.org
If this container needs to be removed for any reason, please let us know via
calling (417) 864-1049. We apologize, and will be happy to move it.
GEOCACHING – LETTER BOXING – MEDALLION PERMIT
SPRINGFIELD – GREENE COUNTY PARK BOARD
Outdoor Initiatives, Attn: Melvin Johnson
Northview Center, 301 E. Talmage St, Springfield, MO 65803
(417) 837-5808 ext #1
This permit is valid through ____________________. After that date, the
cache must be moved and a new
location permit issued or removed from the premises.
Cache Owner Information (Please Print):
Name:_______________________________________________. Age If Minor:______.
Address:________________________________________________________________.
Phone Number:__________________________________________________________.
E-mail Address:__________________________________________________________.
Cache name as listed on www.geocahing.com or
www.letterboxing.org:______________
Springfield – Greene County Park or Linear Park
Trails:___________________________
Physical description of
container:____________________________________________.
____”Official Geocache” Label. ____”Official Letter Boxing” Label.
____Water resistant clear container. ____Photos attached.
Location coordinates or clues _____________________________________________.
____WGS84 ____NAD27
Physical description of
area:_________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________.
____Virtual cache. ____On-site cache. ____Offset cache. ____Multi-cache.
____I understand that caches not in compliance with the terms of this
permit will be removed from the
property and this permit voided for failure to comply.
____I understand that I am to monitor this cache monthly and maintain it
to be family friendly.
My family and I herby waive and release the Springfield – Greene County
Park Board and its representatives from
claims for damages and/or injuries incurred while participating in or as
a spectator of the Springfield – Greene
County Park Board activities.
(Signature of participant or parent if participant is under 18) (Date)
PROCEDURES
1. Cache owners wishing to place a cache on Springfield – Greene County Park
Board site must complete an Official Geocaching Placement Permit.
(Justification)
Springfield-Greene County Park Board Designee, Date, and E-Mail Address.