[GeoStL] Re: Beck Park

  • From: Tom Wolpert <tom_wolpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2013 08:03:16 -0700 (PDT)

Looks like JeffCo bought it from St. Louis County back in 1996.  According to
this squib, it was supposed to open in a year or so (in October 1996).  I guess
the only "opening" is still for the managed hunts.  Something I saw indicates
that MDC is involved in the managed hunts as well.

http://www.questia.com/library/1P2-33045484/beck-park-to-open-in-a-year-worth-the-wait-officials

>________________________________

you stand across the river at the newer lot near I-44 at Rt.66 SP you can see
the remains of steps leading down the hill to the river from the top. It looks
like a boat dock or 2 is down by the river still. When we would come home from
the country (Hermann) when I was small you could see the huge rock house at the
top of the bluff.

>>Some time ago (can’t remember if it was during motorcycle days or caching
days), I inquired about the park and was told it was closed to the public and
only open during hunting season. There was an old road with a gate that was
always locked.

>>Then within the past 10 years there was an article in the paper that said
Stl county and Jeff county had swapped some land and that park was one of the
parcels. What I can’t remember is which way did it go and who owns it now. STL
or Jeff cnty.

>>I bet it would be neat to see what is left up there.
>>
>>Rich

Tyson and Route 66 state park:

>>N 38° 29.717 W 090°
35.303

>>It appears to
very large and also has some very high elevations. I spoke to a lady from the
parks department who said "it's a very weird area," but wouldn't give any
details besides saying there is a mountain at the back of the park. It appears
to be a private park. I was just curious if anyone knew anything about it,
specifically why it's not open to the public and what the area is used for.