[GeoStL] Re: Anyone? Anyone? 3

  • From: Jason Collier <jcollier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 13:17:07 -0500

-
You could also check the settings on the macro. Maybe when you chose the new unit it put all the settings back to the defaults which, if I remember correctly, are quite basic. Just a thought.

Jason Collier
314-623-0263

On 8/3/2012 12:11 PM, Tom Wolpert wrote:
I'm running everything on Win7 64-bit with no problems. OTOH, it's not a Nuvi 40 or a Nuvi 1250 :) Before going further, let me ask some stupid questions. When you attach the Nuvi to the newer PC (the one that fails), does the Nuvi go into "computer connection" mode? Or does it stay in "navigation" mode? And does it behave the same way on the XP machine? And you are using the 1250 cable with the 1250 and the 50 cable with the 40? Finally, is it the same version of the macro on both machines? The only likely variable I can think of is that XP (without at least Windows Media Player 10) likely forces the unit into being a removable USB drive. Newer Windows versions support MTP (media transfer protocol), which is a different way of accessing files on a removable device. I can't imagine why this would matter for delivering a POI file. But if you want to experiment, you can force the Nuvi into using the old-style USB interface all the time. Bring up the volume screen on the Nuvi. Tap and hold in the upper right corner for as long as it takes. (I realize there is no icon there.) This will bring up the developer menu. Look for MTP settings and change it to "mass storage" or words to that effect. I really have a hard time believing this matters. And I certainly didn't have to do it for the 2555. But I'm having a hard time coming up with any other obvious differences between XP and newer systems. At least, any differences that are not hardware-related.
Tom