[GeoStL] Re: Anyone? Anyone? 3

  • From: Tom Wolpert <tom_wolpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 10:11:11 -0700 (PDT)

I'm running everything on Win7 64-bit with no problems.  OTOH, it's not a Nuvi
40 or a Nuvi 1250 :)

Before going further, let me ask some stupid questions.  When you attach the
Nuvi to the newer PC (the one that fails), does the Nuvi go into "computer
connection" mode?  Or does it stay in "navigation" mode?  And does it behave
the
same way on the XP machine?  And you are using the 1250 cable with the 1250 and
the 50 cable with the 40?  Finally, is it the same version of the macro on both
machines?

The only likely variable I can think of is that XP (without at least Windows
Media Player 10) likely forces the unit into being a removable USB drive.
Newer
Windows versions support MTP (media transfer protocol), which is a different
way
of accessing files on a removable device.  I can't imagine why this would
matter
for delivering a POI file.  But if you want to experiment, you can force the
Nuvi into using the old-style USB interface all the time.  Bring up the volume
screen on the Nuvi.  Tap and hold in the upper right corner for as long as it
takes.  (I realize there is no icon there.)  This will bring up the developer
menu.  Look for MTP settings and change it to "mass storage" or words to that
effect.  I really have a hard time believing this matters.  And I certainly
didn't have to do it for the 2555.  But I'm having a hard time coming up with
any other obvious differences between XP and newer systems.  At least, any
differences that are not hardware-related.

Tom