[GeoStL] Re: Another interesting forum thread.

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 09:03:02 -0500

-
Oh yea, i doNt type soo good.

If i dont use capital letters i can boost my speed up to about 5 words a minute.

glenn

At 08:55 AM 5/19/2005, Eric & Dayna East wrote:

-
Hey Glenn,

That's Quincy, with a capitol Q! :-)

Eric

----- Original Message ----- From: "Glenn" <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2005 8:14 AM Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Another interesting forum thread.

-
Event in olney?? There was no Groundspeak sanctioned geocaching event in olney.

You are right, there are no guidelines for temp caches. Lots of places think that if you go to the event and play all day, you log the event once and move on. Around here we sort of do it a little differently (to the destain of mainly at "reviewers central") but we still do and log temp caches at our *groundspeak events*.

Nothing at all prevents anyone from setting up a cache and having people log against it for anything that they want. Folks do it all the time but why would you log non-groundspeak events on a groundspeak page? We could just as well log our Easter egg finds there, our score in monopoly throw in some more finds because we drove up to quincy a while back i think a smiley for every 5 miles is about right. I bought gas twice last week, I should go ahead and log them too. Absolutely nothing stops anyone from logging finds on anyones cache page but none of that has anything to do geocaching.com so why bother.

MOGA was a Geocaching.com sanctioned event. Very different from the mythical town festive in Olney.

Temp caches and policy... Jeramy has made it pretty clear that for the most part, we (Groundspeak volunteers) are not the log police and it is NOT about the numbers. That is why the stats support is not high on the to-do list. If folks want to log an extra for finding a cache in the rain, so what. If folks want to claim each leg of a multi cache and (even tho it is discouraged), so what. If folks want to claim the same cache 27 times, who cares. It is like finding your own caches, sure you can do it, but that doesn't make it right. If may be asinine to *a lot* folks to log temp caches at an event, but to us around here, it is not. Many find it unreasonable that MOGA participants had an opportunity to log some 44 caches that we NOT open to the general public, I didn't think anything of it and it was a bonus for attending and I have taken a reasonable amount of groundspeak heat for it but we do it anyway. I like logging well done temp groundspeak events.

What I really dont care for is logging NON-GROUNDSPEAK events on groundspeak services. Why bother. A fella in Chicago once wanted to set up a groundspeak cache page so people could log their navicaches and terracaches on it. It never got listed and the practice of logging you navicache finds on groundspeak is not supported.

 right, and my opinions are always my own as well.

glenn
At 07:37 AM 5/19/2005, Mike Griffin wrote:

-
I think the problem lies in that there are no guidelines for event (Temp) caches on GC. If you think about it, MOGA was totally bogus as well. Why should we have a LOTEC page and allow 1000's of logs on an archived cache? However, there is no rule against it. Opinions don't count as policy! If I attend an event put on by the townspeople, such as Olney, and they have setup a picnic and caches for the day, I can attend and have a great time without logging anything. If one of the people there has multiple caches out and says to log against their cache page, what prevents this?

Jeremy states this could be abuse of the system. However, no policy clearly states that event caches should be prohibited from logging. In my own opinion, when we take the event caches from the events, we defeat the purpose of that event. If we don't log the event caches and still have them for fun, I would be more than willing to go that route. Just remember, there are those that think if they hit 10,000 finds, they will be transformed into a higher state of being. They will not come to an event that is not loggable.

I think that Jeremy should once and for all publish guidelines for temp caches. It is not fair that SLAGA has a LOTEC page and Wisconsin or Iowa are blasted for even suggesting it. It should be made clear and then it will not be opinionated, but will be THE LAW!

Opinions expressed here are solely that of ME and do not represent SLAGA or any other group for that matter.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Glenn" <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>