[gender-it] Re: [Fwd: [faces] subRosa book launch in NYC]

  • From: anna <anna@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gender-it@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 22 Oct 2003 18:19:27 +0200

hi Ingrid + everyone,

sorry about that! just now i noticed hat my comparatively new mail
program doesn't let me stop using html in email wich i find rather
exotic.. (any experiences with 'evolution' out there?). in any case it
seems to me that this problem has its roots in text wrapping problems
rather than html? but i'm no expert on these things.

i'm using the opportunity to introduce myself as i wasn't at the
workshop that started this list off.

i was in amsterdam, at the n5m, but couldn't make it to the workshop.
details are familiar to all of you who saw my long text about problems
evolving around childcare at activist conferences. -->
http://lists.indymedia.org/pipermail/imc-europe/2003-September/001484.html

i'm very sorry to have missed it but i'm glad the lists was started and
hope it'll get to be a bit more energetic :)

about myself: i'm german, active with indymedia for 2,5 years now,
co-founded the german imc as well as the imc-women group, am only very
moderately tech-savvy. i'm interested mostly in tranferring tech
knowledge and getting tech-dominated groups to create a working
atmosphere that makes it possible for new comers to feel welcome. i did
not always succeed, which is one of the reasons why i left the german
imc this summer.

in the case of the german imc it is tech-dominated not in a sense that
there are huge numbers of programmers scaring everyone away but instead
for some reason certain behaviours oriented towards coolness and a
specific kind of elitism prevail. most individuals are far from
supporting such behaviour but still as a group it is very 'closed'.

in a way a very typical gender problem without any apparent case of
discrimination against women. i by now refuse to constantly be the one
who reminds everyone (including myself!) to try to make group structures
as transparent and inviting as possible which at times seemed to be work
of a social worker. you can see this frustrated me a great deal...

another thing i find bizarre is that i noticed that a number of imc's
have 'older' women (30+) who have a rather dominant role, are somewhat
singular in that and get tired of it after a while. i'm just know
watching that and i'm not sure whether this is something special or
rather normal.. but i'd like to hear more about experiences like that!

i'm also often busy with issues around translation, communication in
international virtual networks, understanding between different cultures
including different political and cultural backgrounds. these are issues
that are often taken for granted as technology offers all these
wonderful possibilities but actually i think we're creating an amazing
amount of confusion when we don't pay more attention to them. i wish
communication tools would be finding as much attention as tech tools in
projects that circling around the big words such as 'information',
'communication', 'new media', 'technology'!

Anna