[gameprogrammer] fluid body armor

  • From: Keith Emery <kmne68@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:41:15 -0700 (PDT)

I don't have the link but I saw the story too on the Drudge report. If you
search for "armor" I am sure it will come up. The gist was that when a
projectile hits the liquid it immediately solidifies (within a millisecond or
less) and stops the projectile. They have so far tried it with arrows and a few
other things and are planning to test it with bullets. They made it sound like
its greatest uses would be in vehicles and in the sleeves of protective
clothing for law enforcement because it retains its flexibility unti it is
struck. Pretty cool.
I saw the story a day or two ago I think.

Keith Emery
"Roger D. Vargas" <roger@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
El vie, 30-04-2004 a las 16:06, Bob Pendleton escribió:

> > > Bob Pendleton
> >
> > Which is a good argument that it's no longer War that gives us great ideas
> > and inventions. It's now video games and that industry that give us ideas
> > for new inventions and technologies in real life...
>
> Well, science fiction is a good source of ideas. Except for fluid body
> armor every thing I listed was in a scifi book written before 1959 and
> arguably before 1935.
Curious, what is a fluid body armor? Maybe some kind of dense fluid that
slows projectiles?

--
Roger D. Vargas
Linux User: 180787