[gameprogrammer] Re: can C++ make it alone?

  • From: "Chris Nystrom" <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 10:22:32 -0500

On 9/5/07, Azeem Zaheer <azeem_841@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Thanks for replying guys.
>  But my problem is still not solved.
>  Think of me as someone who loves computer games and wants to make some,
>  for this he has learnt C++ as much as he can.Now, he is stuck.
>  I can make my own classes.I am familiar with all the rules of the
> language.(almost all)
>  i have made many problem-solving applications, but games??
>  I repeat my humble question:
>  How am I going to make a game by myself.2D.
>  It doesn't need to be side-scrolling, it can be a mere still screen where i
> move a character.
>  If possible, send me the source code.
>  try to understand.I am desperate ...and frustrated.

I think you are frustrated because you are trying to skip a few steps.
You are assuming because you have learned to program you are now ready
to program a 2D side scrolling game. The problem is you are lacking a
couple of skills. First you have not studied graphics programming. And
second you have not studied game programming (which is not the same as
graphics programming).

Once you understand these two then you will be ready to look on the
net a study in detail how to create a 2D side scrolling game like this
one:

http://cone3d.gamedev.net/cgi-bin/index.pl?page=tutorials/gfxsdl/tut6

Chris

--