[gameprogrammer] Re: Reading Audio Streams

  • From: "Casey O'Donnell" <caseyodonnell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:02:00 +0530

Why not just use an existing radio station software, make some
playlists, and use something like FMOD to read the streams? Of course
you'll have to account for the net being down/unavailable, server
load, etc... but that's another issue.

Casey

On 12/20/06, Stephen Smith <gp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I had a great idea the other day - rather than writing music for my
games, I thought I'd stream it from internet radio stations a'la GTA.
I'm probably being a bit niave, but is it just case of connecting via
http and then reading the bytes and playing them as if it was an mp3 file?

Needless to say I tried it and didn't get very far, but maybe the radio
station itself wasn't working.  Has anyone else written an internet
radio player and can point me in the right direction?