[gameprogrammer] RES: Re: AI for race games

  • From: "Edilson Vasconcelos de Melo Junior" <dirso@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 13:22:56 -0300

Hi!

I'm a really big fan of racing and I just love those games. I'm starting to
program games now and I think a racing game is the easier kind (am I
wrong?), since RTS and FPS requires more advanced AI and other stuffs.
I was thinking about an AI cheater, every track would have a hidden map that
would tell the AI agent what is the best way to go. I was looking for some
pathfinding algorithm but it wouldn't be that efficient and would take a lot
of CPU usage.
So, it would be way better if I process the track before starting the race
and generate this "cheat map", and this way my AI cars would try to move to
the positions with better scores in the map.
I really would like to know if any of you had ever did something like that
and if it would work.
Maybe a FSM would help me to process the track, but I have to consider
curves, its tangency, max speed allowed, terrain height maps, terrain
attrition, and of course it has to know how to move backward if it collides
with a wall. - It is not as easy as I thought :)

Thanks a lot,
Dirso

Atenciosamente,

Edilson Vasconcelos de Melo Junior