[gameprogrammer] Re: GUI

  • From: "Chris Schnurr" <chris.schnurr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:49:15 -0000

Bob Writes:

>On Wed, 2005-01-19 at 13:59 +0000, Chris Schnurr wrote:
>> At 15:09 30/12/2004, Sharu wrote:
>> >Hi there.
>> >I am trying to build a GUI for my "battleship" game.
>> >Can anyone give me links to good tutorials.
>> >Also some links for 3D Models that can be downloaded
>> >for free.
>> >

>> Alternatively, just browse here :-
>>
>> http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/aminet/dirs/gfx_3dobj.html
>
>This is a remarkable collection of material. Looking over the site I
>could not find anything about the copyright status of this material. Do
>you know what license(s) cover this material? Also, several of the
>objects or of trademarked items (such as the star trek models) do you
>know what kind of restrictions there are on these items?

Hi Bob,

Aminet was meant to be a freely distributable archive where users could
upload items of interest to the Amiga Community that
_they_had_authored_themselves_. It's been around longer than www. (used to
have to telnet/finger to it)

If I draw a picture of something that's Trademarked, Am I in violation? Even
if its a terrible representation?

Likewise, If you base a 3D model on a Trademarked image, are you in
violation? What if you use it as a starting point, then hack bits off it /
Add new bits to it until its unrecognisable?

IMHO, anyone who has spent hours (?years) constructing 3D models on their
Amiga deserves the copyright on that particular model more than the company
that might own the rights to a TV Show... 8^)

However, I think you are right to be sceptical of copyrights issues.

http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/aminet/upload.txt

http://ftp.uni-paderborn.de/aminet/readme.txt

Both of these stress that :

1) the moderators of the site cannot guarantee that its content is freely
distributable and
2) It is the responsibility of the uploader to ensure that the items being
uploaded are freely distributable.

>sigh< the good old eighties...

--+ Several years ago (Word 2.0?), the word "usability" was not recognized
by Word's spell checker. It suggested "suability" instead. Ominously, the
report I was working on compared the usability of a Microsoft product to one
of its competitors.
C. Snyder (2004) +---