[gameprogrammer] Re: Fast, easy to use RSA generator

  • From: "Alan Wolfe" <atrix2@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 20:32:12 -0700

Hey Kevin,

Seriously, you should get applied cryptography and read it, a really great
book that will teach you alot about cryptography.

From the author's analasis, he shows that algorithms that rely on wierd
mathematical properties always seem to get cracked or always have a weak
chink in their armor that lets people crack em faster than brute forcing
them.

The reliable algorithms are all "simple", IE they rely on things like xor,
addition, subtraction and bit rotation, not big complex equations that
mathemeticians like to poke at for fun.

RSA Data Security, Inc. has made LOTS of encryption algorithms and are
pretty venerable in the encryption world it seems. I'm assuming this is the
company you are talking about when you say RSA but maybe you mean something
else.

RSA's best publicly known algorithm as of when this book was made (late 90s)
is RC5.

They actualy have a bounty out to where whoever breaks a message they
encrypted in RC5 will get something like 1 million dollars.

If youve ever seen those programs that run in the background to analyze SETI
data, they have a similar thing set up for breaking this RC5 message, where
you join a "group" and if your group cracks the message you split the money.

So far, the prize remains unclaimed (:

RC5 is not useable w/o a license though, and a very hefty fee. (this is all
to the best of my knowledge of course, this information could be outdated,
or changed by now)

RC4 however is the next best thing.

according to the book...

"RSADSI claims that the algorithm is immune to differential and linear
cryptanalysis, doesnt seem to have any small cycles, and is highly
non-linear. (There are no public cryptanaltic results.  RC4 can be in about
2 & 1700 (256!*256^2) possible states: an enormous number.) .... The
algorithm is simple enough that most programmers can quickly code it from
memory."

RC4  is public domain.  The name is trademarked so if you code it you have
to call it somethign else, but the process itself is no longer protected as
a trade secret so it's all yours to use.

Best of all, RC4 uses nothing but addition,subtraction and xor so it is
probably genuinely very secure.  I found some code on the net, i havent
tested it but it looks good, hope it suits your needs (:

http://www.cr0.net:8040/code/crypto/rc4/