[gameprogrammer] Algo to break any password?

  • From: "Kevin Jenkins" <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 10:24:21 -0700

I was thinking of this last night.  It seems like a way you can beat any
password based security measure.  Please tell me if I'm wrong.

s2c: Encyrption data (nonce, public key, whatever).
c2s: Hash containing the password.

I have a packetsniffer on a router inbetween them.

I don't try to break the hash.  Instead, I run whatever algo the client was
using to generate the hash using every possible password until our hashes
match.  Short of using an algo that takes several minutes to generate a
single hash, I can run through all reasonable passwords pretty quick.  If I
assume the passwords are alpha-numeric then I can do it even faster.

So it seems like a packetsniffer can beat any security measure.  Am I wrong?