[fsug-calicut] Re: test usplash

  • From: Suhail T <suhailcmr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "stranger in black....." <gnuise@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 17:47:52 +0530

*This is how I hav installed it in debian ..
*

1 - In order to install this theme, you should have Usplash well configured
and installed. If you don't please try

        sudo apt-get install usplash

2-  You also need a booting screen resolution of 1024x768 and, if needed, to
allow booting information to be shown. To set it, please open your grub
configuration file

        sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst

    find the paragraph about your current kernel version, and add the string

            vga=791

    at the end of the kernel section, without modifying pre-existing values.

    Also delete (if present) the string

        quiet

    For example if this is your current configuration

        title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.17-10-generic
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/hda5 ro quiet
splash locale=en_EN
        initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
        boot

    you should modify this line

        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/hda5 ro quiet
splash locale=en_EN

    which will become

        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/hda5 ro splash
locale=en_EN vga=791

INSTALLATION

Now that everything is well set, we'll install the new theme. Fisrt of all
copy the file contained in this directory, named 'usplash-theme-comptus.so'
insto your Desktop. Now open a terminal and digit

        cd
        cd Desktop
        sudo cp usplash-theme-comptus.so /usr/lib/usplash
        sudo update-alternatives --install
/usr/lib/usplash/usplash-artwork.so usplash-artwork.so
/usr/lib/usplash/usplash-theme-comptus.so 10
        sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so

And choose the righ value (write the number displayed near the file called
'usplash-theme-comptus.so' then press Return to confirm)

Now update your system booting process by digiting in terminal

        sudo update-initramfs -u

CHECK

IMPORTANT: preview will only run if you modified your grub configuration and
then rebooted! If you didn't this won't work!

If you want to check the installation before rebooting please write in a
terminal

        sudo usplash -c

Then to come back to the gnome desktop

        ctrl+alt+F7