[fsug-calicut] Re: root memory is zero!!!!!!!!!

  • From: sooraj kenoth <soorajkenoth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bobinson@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 16:34:39 +0530

2009/4/22 bobinson <bobinson@xxxxxxxxx>
>just 25MB for swap......???? isnt it too low........????

I'm using 1gb swap. and i feel (from the experience with ubuntu 7.10,
installed in 128 ram pc)
it is necessary if the ram is low. you can feel the change in performance
especially in live cd boot.

No :-) if the system is using more swap memory than few megabytes it will
slow down due to I/O bottleneck.

i never used a system with more than 1gb ram.

Ubuntu is like MS version of GNU/Linux and for getting a user friendly
product for Dummies they lost even the basic security aspects of a GNU/Linux
system.

some of my friends(have RHC) they are recently switched from red-hat
reported the some security problem with ubuntu(but i couldn't understand
what they said)

also they said that canonical limited is trying to maintain some aspects of
proprietary(???).

for a short period i switched to gnusence. i felt it is too tough to use(no
supporting drivers for me). but it was very fast compare to ubuntu.

can you suggest a free software configuration for my home pc?
1GHz celron processor
128 sd ram
40 GB PATTA hd
it is using an LAN card from INTEX- model number LC81 [(it internationally
fake!!!!!!!!!!?????????), the driver along with the CD is not correct]

my successful installation with LAN support is ubuntu 8.10. but the system
is too slow with that.
it is not easy to avoid
open office
firefox
okular
mirage

now it is in duel boot
windows configuration
open office- office tool
foxit reader- pdf reader
firefox- web browser
image burn-cd burn
infra recorder- cd burn
easy duplicate finder- to remove duplicate files
ccleaner- system clean
vlc- media player.
totel media player-3gp and all other media not supported by vlc

with this configuration good system performance[as long as there is no
virus]

at present ubuntu is loaded with
flux box
LXDE
EDE(desk top)
but there is no significant difference in performance while loading firefox
or openoffice.

while comparing the performance windows seems to be better(as long as not
affected by virus)