[fsug-calicut] Fwd: Make Tech Easier

  • From: "stranger in black..." <gnuise@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsug-tvm <ilug-tvm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, fsug-calicut <fsug-calicut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:03:59 +0530

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Make Tech Easier <damien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 5:56 PM
Subject: Make Tech Easier
To: junisesafvan@xxxxxxxxx

   Make Tech Easier <http://maketecheasier.com>

What’s New In Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
Jackalope<http://feedproxy.google.com/%7Er/MakeTechEasier/%7E3/eRWdbQKL7-Q/20>

[image: jaunty-jacklope]23rd April 2009 is the day when Uubntu 9.04 Jaunty
Jackalope <http://www.ubuntu.com/>

will be released. I am sure many of you have already marked down the date
and prepare yourselves for the launch.

I have been using Ubuntu 9.04 since the beta release and I must admit that I
am really impressed with it. Not only is it faster, it is also more stable,
user-friendly and definitely more elegant.

To better prepare all of you for Ubuntu Jaunty, I will be publishing a
5-part series, covering tips and tricks and some points to take note when
dealing with Ubuntu Jaunty. This series will be published every day, for the
next 5 days.

For the first part of the series, we are going to look at the new features
of Ubuntu Jaunty and why is it a must-have for existing (and future) Ubuntu
users.

Kernel

The kernel is not a part of the system that we meddle with everyday, but it
is the most important part that determines how well your system runs. In
9.04, the the 2.6.28-11.37 kernel <http://www.kernel.org>

based on 2.6.28.8 was used. In simple term, this kernel supports Ext 4
filesystem, has a better memory management , provide better disk shock
protection and many more useful features that you won’t see it in the
frontend.

 Desktop Manager

For Ubuntu, the latest Gnome
2.26<http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/2.26/>

is included as the main desktop manager. Gnome 2.26 comes with plenty of
improvements. The more notable ones include:

   - Brasero as the default disc burning utility in Nautilus
   - Improved handling of multiple monitors
   - Evolution now supports Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders (PST files)
   including E-mail, contacts, appointments, tasks and journal entries. It also
   added support for the Microsoft Exchange’s MAPI protocol, which makes
   Evolution’s integration with Exchange servers a much easier task.
   - Movie player now comes with several more new plugins such as sutbitle
   downloader, video disc recorder and Jamendo

Ext4 Filesystem

Ubuntu 9.04 officially supports the Ext4
filesystem<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4>

. In case you are not aware, Ext4 has a bigger files support (supports
volume up to 1 exabytes and file of size 16 terabytes), backward compatible,
making it possible to mount ext3 and ext2 filesystems as ext4 and a faster
filesystem checking.

 While the default filesystem in Ubuntu Jaunty is still ext3, there is an
option to format your hard disk to ext4 during the installation process.
Those who are adventurous enough can try it out. For your information, I
have reformated my system to ext4 and it works great.

[image: ext4-partition]
Software

*Open Office 3.0*

Open Office 3.0 did not make it in time for the previous 8.10 release. This
time, OpenOffice 3.0.1 was included as the default office suite in Ubuntu
9.04.

*Session Manager renamed as Startup Applications*

Previously, if you need to make changes to the startup applications, you
need to go to the Session Manager and add/delete the entries. In Ubuntu
9.04, the Session Manager is renamed as Startup Applications, probably to
avoid confusion and provide more clarity to new users.

*Computer Janitor*

This application is a new inclusion in Ubuntu. What it does is to help you
find and remove software packages you might not need anymore. It also
suggests configuration changes that might benefit you.

[image: computer-janitor]
Look and Feel

There have been a lot of improvement on the look and feel in this version.

*New usplash screen*

[image: new-usplash-screen]

*New login screen*

[image: Ubuntu 9.04 new-login-screen]

*New notification style*

*[image: notification-style]
*

*New default wallpapers*

Even though the background color is still the dull brown, they are
definitely a radical change from the previous series of wallpapers.*
*

[image: new-wallpaper1][image: new-wallpaper2]

*New desktop themes*

Dust theme

[image: dust-theme]

Dust Sand theme

[image: dust-sand-theme]

New Wave theme

[image: new-wave-theme]
Speed

If there is anything that I am extremely impress with this new release, it
must be the fast boot-up speed. The boot up (and shut down) speed is much
faster.  If you have installed Ubuntu 9.04 in ext4 format, enable automatic
login and disable most startup applications, you should be able to boot up
to your desktop in less than 18 seconds, as experimented by Matt
Cutts<http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/ubuntu-904-boots-in-175-seconds/>

. That is really fast!

 Ubuntu 9.04 will be released on 23rd April 2009. You can download the
LiveCD from the download site <http://www.ubuntu.com>

. To upgrade your current version of Ubuntu, simply run the following
command in the terminal:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Even though the Ubuntu site stated that the beta and RC release are not
meant to use on production machine, I have installed and tested them out and
they both work fine on my computer. For those who can’t wait for the actual
release, you might want to upgrade to the RC version. One thing though, do
remember to run the Update Manager everyday to get the latest software
update.

Image credit: notebooknotes <http://www.flickr.com/photos/notebooknotes/>

  <https://feedads.googleadservices.com/%7Ea/mqjj8MLdJAuT-jiQXuRGThjeJEE/a>

<http://feeds2.feedburner.com/%7Eff/MakeTechEasier?a=eRWdbQKL7-Q:mONJRoEeELE:V_sGLiPBpWU>
<http://feeds2.feedburner.com/%7Eff/MakeTechEasier?a=eRWdbQKL7-Q:mONJRoEeELE:gIN9vFwOqvQ>
<http://feeds2.feedburner.com/%7Eff/MakeTechEasier?a=eRWdbQKL7-Q:mONJRoEeELE:F7zBnMyn0Lo>
<http://feeds2.feedburner.com/%7Eff/MakeTechEasier?a=eRWdbQKL7-Q:mONJRoEeELE:qj6IDK7rITs>
   You are subscribed to email updates from Make Tech
Easier<http://maketecheasier.com>

To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe
now<http://feedburner.google.com/fb/a/mailunsubscribe?k=gtgCYVyDja3Ni8Cj8qEUz8vk_bY>
. Email delivery powered by Google  Inbox too full? [image:
(feed)]<http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MakeTechEasier>
Subscribe <http://feeds2.feedburner.com/MakeTechEasier>
to the feed version of Make Tech Easier in a feed reader.  If you prefer to
unsubscribe via postal mail, write to: Make Tech Easier, c/o Google, 20 W
Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610

--
with love

Junise Safvan
+919746283383

project guidence on
VHDL, image processing, embedded system design etc
 Trustworthiness:
Vendor reliability:
Privacy:
Child safety: