[fsug-calicut] FOSS promotion in Wayanad was [Re: Re: FOSS Stall for Tathva 09]

  • From: Anivar Aravind <anivar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsug-calicut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2009 08:16:48 +0530

Dr. Jithendranath,

Thanks for the well analysed email. some quick comments inline.
Changed subject line according to topic

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 7:06 AM, Jithendranath <jithendranath@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear Sajjad, Abhishek and Jemshid
>
> REg FOSS software and display of Distros.
> This is just a followup of the letter that i wrote to you.
>
> I spoke to my hardware and software friends at Sulthan Bathery and they
> are very much interested and they have fully understood that now is the
> time to change to FOSS.

Good. Usually Hardware vendor decides which OS people need to use. so
change from their part is essential. It will be they can start selling
computers with Dual Boot (GNU/Linux and Ubuntu togther)

> There are three types of people.
> 1. The users who use internet, mail, office programmes and basic machine
> functions.( doctors, DTP operators, accounts people, teachers etc)

This set can migrate without any issues . Only Installation is enough.
There are plenty of resources online to find solutions for small
issues they are facing

> 2. Software developers who use Visual basic and Access to develop custom
> made software for hospitals, shops, bakeries, farmers etc.They also
> maintain the software programme, Data backup storage and the hardware
> too in occasions.

They can study and migrate to FOSS based Developer Platforms .
Willingness and some training is needed here for migration

> 3. Hardware dealers and maintenence persons who sell systems /
> peripherals to us and take care of the machines when they collapse.

This is the most interesting and potential group. Change begins from
here. Training on GNU/Linux installation and troubleshooting is the
need

> Most of the headaches that all of them face is virus crashes on the
> machines due to pirated OS. This affects all the three sets of people.
>
> None of us have any experience with Free OS. There is also no one to
> guide us. Presently we have realised the need to change and are very
> much excited at this.
>
> As for myself I experimented with Ubuntu and was surprised at the ease
> with which I could change and was very comfortable with it. One of my
> DTP operators experimented with GIMP and found that there were more
> tools that Photo shop. Of course there are small hang-ups did occur for
> which help was always available on a simple email.
>
> Basically I feel that some sort of help mode can be made and be taught
> to people on a face to face basis.

That is the purpose of Local User Groups and Face to Face meetings in
every month

> District / Taluk level trainers can be made and they can easily teach
> the others. Develop a trainer among the above mentioned group of people
> and they can teach their community.
>
> 1. How to install Ubuntu and the partitions needed. Monitor and display
> issues.
> 2. Opening and shutting down. Drives, Places, Opening files, saving and
> Writing to Pen drives and CDs.
> 3. Accessories, Dictionaries, Drawing and Office programmes.
> 4. Firefox Browsing and Email with Evolution.
> 5. Pictures and F Spot : Viewing, Printing and Editing swf, jpg, jpeg
> etc
> 6. Audio player and audio files formats like wma, mp3, wav
> 7. Video player and video file formats like dat, flv, wmv, avi, mp4
> 8. Messaging, chat and Video conferencing
> 9. Modem and installation
> 10. Digital Camera and Web cams: installing and viewing different cams
> 11. Scanners, Microphone and pen drives
> 12. Firewall protection and handling Viruses.

Use Ubuntu based Distros like Linux Mint , which comes with Codecs .
It is the best choice for newbies

> What I feel is that the Free OS can be well promoted from the Rural area
> upwards in a step wise manner. First get a set of trainers ready and
> they will do the rest. Presently it is restricted to the technically
> oriented persons and has not reached the end users.

There is a FSUG Wayanad existing with nearly 35 members as google groups shows.
You may need to start from here http://groups.google.com/group/fsug-wayanad

I hope Friends in FSUG-Calicut can also help in this

FSUG-Kozhikode Home Page :
http://www.fsugcalicut.org