[fsf60k] new chapters

  • From: richard wiltamuth <dwiltam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 13:19:17 -0400

dear friends,
at this month's meeting, pete white announced progress in forming chapters.
there will be two of them, massachusetts and florida. each group pays $1,500
to set up with the irs. donations made to the chapters will be
tax-deductible, and each will keep its own books. the mass. chapter, headed
by mike cipoletti, will actually include some college campuses in new york,
but you know how pushy mass. people are. the chapters will have much
autonomy, as long as they adhere to friends' principles, mainly helping the
poor. pete expects the chapters to be legal before the end of the year.
in another bureaucratic development, pete has spoke with a lawyer who made
suggestions about "beefing up" our standard waiver form, which we need to
protect us in case of a lawsuit. the lawyer also suggested we look into
additional insurance coverage. his fee is $1,000, and we will try to make an
arrangement to be able to run questions by him as new projects evolve.

cow harbor day is sunday, sept. 26 in the village park. we need about half a
dozen volunteers to staff the tables from about 11 a.m. to 5. we plan to
seek donations of $6 each that will go for solar light bulbs in nicaragua.
the bulbs are being field tested and have proven popular with the citizens.
we'll have a bulb to demonstrate. check out the maker's site, nokero.com.
mike, who is in nicaragua as this missive is written, was given $250 by
friends to buy leather sandals and other items we can sell. also, friends
authorized buying a vinyl banner for display at the event at a cost of about
$125.

tim rugile, a recent graduate of binghamton university and alumnus of
students for 60,000, has volunteered to help run our web site. he will be
working with jen brady-cotter, who got the whole thing going but wants to
spend less time on the project.

our guest was maynor sevilla-sevilla of chacraseca, who is staying with
carol werblin. maynor spoke to us in his evolving english and we struggling
with our spanish, which may be devolving. maynor, whose family recently got
a house with the help of friends, has visited new york city, which he notes
has more skyscrapers than chacraseca.

***
You can unsubscribe from this list by sending an email to
fsf60k-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field.
An archive of messages is available at //www.freelists.org/archives/fsf60k.
FAQ'are available at //www.freelists.org/help/faq.html***