[fsf60k] Re: fsf60k Digest V4 #129

  • From: Carol Werblin <cwerblin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 04:15:12 +0000

Dear Friends-

I know that I rarely respond to any of our meetings, but I felt as though I had
to this time.  The meeting last week felt very different to me- I found it
engaging, informative, and it filled me with renewed energy.  There were old
faces, and many new fresh faces- and it felt good to hear the input of so many
people.  I felt connected for the first time in a long time- maybe I'm just a
visual learner- Pete's blackboard work seemed to make things click for me. It
made me anxious to want to see this water project go ahead and finally get
completed. There was much talk about whether or not any of Friend's money would
be needed to complete the water project.  After so much research, money, and
hard work, I would hate to see us just hand it over to the government for
completion. I too have a good feeling about this project. I would still like to
think that we had something to say about bringing water to the people of Nuevo-
even if it means having to spend some money to do it.  Oversight by someone
knowledgeable in Nica is extremely important- but because of my past
disconnect- I don't know who this should be.  Let's not be hasty in our
decision-making.  Perhaps final decisions can be made after the adult trip in
the spring- when many of us can meet potential representatives for us, and
maybe even have the chance to speak with the mayor of Telica.

I was also very excited to learn about the "field of dreams" project and would
like to be more involved in seeing this project come to fruition.

Lastly- I wanted to thank you all for your support- not only monetarily- but
emotionally as well for the work I do here locally.  I love the people of
Nicaragua- but I also have a very strong connection to those living right here
in Huntington- and while they may not be impoverished- they are living in
extreme poverty. Thank you for your confidence in my work, but I feel somewhat
uncomfortable  receiving a $1,000 check.  These are funds that will be used for
diverse purposes over time, and I think I would feel more comfortable with some
oversight from Friends as to how it will actually be spent.

I am looking forward to my Feb. trip to Nica with Students, and hope that I
will also be able to go with Friends (if we can possibly have it overlap with
some school vacation time).

Carol