[fsf60k] Re: Rope Pump

  • From: BillCpf@xxxxxxx
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 09:07:32 EDT

Saludos,

I have seen the rope pumps in use in dug wells with plenty of room for the
rope to move but never in a drilled well.  However, the web site says it is
doable with two small pipes inside the well casing.  There are other issue,  I
think which should be considered.
I would think there's a lot more wear and tear and maintenance required  when
a rope pump is run by a gasoline engine for large quantities of water
compared to hand operation.  Is there a gpm rating for a 120 foot head
(approx) so
we would know how long it would need to operate each day?   Would it turned on
manually when someone saw the tank running low?  Several  times a day or on a
schedule?  I assume several responsible people would be  trained in operation
and maintenance and someone would be caretaker of gasoline  and there is a
viable plan to get gasoline regularly.  Are there durability  studies or a
track
record for gasoline operated systems?  How much more  would a wind operation
provision cost?  Or is it too complex to have a  gasoline/wind hybrid system?
Would there be a provision for manual operation if no gasoline is  available
or tank is dry and someone wants a few gallons?
Another concern is the temperature limits of PVC pipe.  Regular PVC is  used
here in U.S. for cold water and a different type CPVC (chlorinated pvc) is
used for hot distribution.  I checked quickly and temp limit for regular  pvc
is
140 F.  So it would appear we are right at the limit.  One  issue is that pvc
softens in heat.  I don't know if there can  be joint failure or weakening
where they are glued.  Another issue  might be offgasing into the water when
they are heated, but I haven't found  anything specific so far.  It might be
safer to have the upfeed pipe from  the bottom of the well to the tank made
from
CPVC.
Is there any plan to cool the water other than by letting it sit in the  tank
for a day?  Are we looking at a steel or plastic tank on a tower now  or a
concrete cistern on the hill?  There are systems used in AC cooling  towers
where the water cascades over a series of wood slats and evaporation  cools the
water (as well as losing some).  I don't know if that would be  effective or
clean in this situation.

- Bill Ofenloch