[fruityloops] Re: to moderate or not to moderate, that is the question

  • From: "amit" <amit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2002 10:22:08 -0700 (PDT)

until today, this list has been relatively low-traffic
and is on-topic.  i dont really see a need for
moderation at this point.  but i would appreciate it if
people were a little more conscious of changing subject
lines.

a.

c j w wrote:

> As it may be a lot of work for you to filter each and
> every message you
> might want to consider an alternative (especially
since
> there isn't
> much of a problem yet).  I would suggest setting some
> ground rules for
> the list that could be sent out to the current
> subscribers as well as
> new subscribers. If you find that the list is being
> abused you could
> enforce the moderation or just remove the offenders
(if
> they continue
> to misbehave).  I subscribe to some pretty large lists
> and although
> there is a lot of traffic there is little to no
abuse.

href="http://mail.future-soul.com//jump/http://www.mp3.com/itHz";>http://www.mp3.com/itHz</a>
href="http://mail.future-soul.com//jump/http://www.mp3.com/sound_Hz";>http://www.mp3.com/sound_Hz</a>

wrote:
> &gt;
> &gt; Hi all,
> &gt;
> &gt; I have been thinking about changing this list
over to
> being
> &gt; moderated,
> &gt; rather than unmoderated as it is now.
> &gt;
> &gt; I'm considering this for a number of reasons:
> &gt;
> &gt; - The list now has quite a good number of
members,
> but as soon as
> &gt; there
> &gt; is a burst of traffic on the list, a run of
people
> attempt to
> &gt; unsubscribe, often by incorrectly sending a mail
> the list asking
> &gt; to
> &gt; be removed.  This only serves to annoy people who
> wish to remain on
> &gt; the
> &gt; list.
> &gt;
> &gt; - The official fruity forum is unmoderated, so
has a
> lot of noise and
> &gt; people messing about.  If this list was
moderated, it
> might attract
> &gt; new
> &gt; members who just want a low volume but good
quality
> fruity related
> &gt; discussion.
> &gt;
> &gt; - Subject lines can be filtered/modified to make
it
> easier to follow
> &gt; threads.  Sometimes people reply to a message and
> start a new topic
> &gt; without changing the subject line accordingly.
Its
> easy to do by
> &gt; mistake and I've done it in the past.
> &gt;
> &gt; - Warez related posts can be filtered out.  This
> hasn't been a
> &gt; problem
> &gt; in the past, but could become a problem as the
list
> becomes better
> &gt; known.
> &gt;
> &gt; If the list was moderated, what should be
allowed and
> what should be
> &gt; blocked?  If questions/queries are too vague and
> therefore unlikely
> &gt; to
> &gt; get an answer, should I block them and ask the
author
> to be more
> &gt; specific?
> &gt;
> &gt; I would like to know what you all think about
this.
> Basically, the
> &gt; idea
> &gt; is to try and make the list as useful as
possible to
> all members,
> &gt; some
> &gt; of whom may not have time to deal with large
volumes
> of less useful
> &gt; messages.
> &gt;
> &gt; If you have a specific comment that only I need
> hear, please reply
> &gt; to
> &gt; me off-list.  If you want to suggest something
for
> further
> &gt; discussion,
> &gt; feel free to reply to the list.
> &gt;
> &gt; thanks,
> &gt;
> &gt; Andy
> &gt; --
> &gt;
> &gt; The contents of this e-mail and any attachments
are
> confidential and
> &gt; may
> &gt; be legally privileged. If you have received this
> e-mail and you are
> &gt; not
> &gt; a named addressee, please inform us as soon as
> possible on
> &gt; +44 118 901 2999 and then delete the e-mail from
your
> system. If you
> &gt; are
> &gt; not a named addressee you must not copy, use,
> disclose, distribute,
> &gt; print or rely on this e-mail. Any views
expressed in
> this e-mail or
> &gt; any
> &gt; attachments may not necessarily reflect those of
> Tao's management.
> &gt; Although we routinely screen for viruses,
addressees
> should scan this
> &gt; e-mail and any attachments for viruses. Tao
makes no
> representation
> &gt; or
> &gt; warranty as to the absence of viruses in this
e-mail
> or any
> &gt; attachments.
> &gt; Please note that for the protection of our
business,
href="http://mail.future-soul.com//jump/http://tao-group.com";>http://tao-group.com</a>/

href="http://mail.future-soul.com//jump/http://sbc.yahoo.com";>http://sbc.yahoo.com</a>