[fruityloops] Re: DXi wrapper

  • From: Andrew Ebling <andyebling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fruityloops@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 10 Dec 2002 13:11:47 +0000

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 12:43, mark griffin wrote:

> i assume that when i open fruity inside sonar it will automatically be
> synced to that host software. he will be running sonar on his pc so it will
> be a case of syncing both pcs with sonar.

In theory yes.  However in practice... ;-)

> we will both be rooting the audio from both pcs through a behringer ddx 3216
> digital desk, all the hardware, (synths and drum machine), will also be
> rooted through the desk, so monitoring channels before they go into the mix
> should be straightforward.
>
> if we use his pc with the delta 1010 as the master we should be able to sync
> all the hardware to this and sync my pc just like another piece of hardware,
> i think?
> i have a feeling we could use the desk to sync everything but we have only
> had it a couple of weeks and don't know our way around it yet.

I don't know.  Experimentation is probably the answer!  Lots of things
that _should_ work often don't when you come to try them when it comes
to syncing lots of digital stuff together.

If you are working to a short time frame, I would suggest that you sync
the PCs together using MIDI and simply take analog outputs from the PCs
to the desk; this massively simplifies the digital audio syncing
problem, but you do loose a bit of sound quality in the process -
probably not that important for a live set anyway.

> i realize that alot of these questions can only be answered by the sonar
> boys but i'm coming at this from a fruity users perspective

I hate to say it, but the whole thing would be a heck of a lot easier if
you were both using Cubase SX and fruity rather than Sonar.  Not only
would it remove the complication of VSTi/DX wrappers, but System Link
and VRacks make this sort of hookup simple, on paper at least - I can't
afford Cubase SX so I'll never know!

hope that helps,

Andy