[frgeek-michiana] Warehouse Report 6/09/09

  • From: Phil Goldbach <shadowvar8541@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 13:21:16 -0700 (PDT)

Present: 5 Volunteers from St. Casmir's, Dan, Chuq, Goose, Tom, and Phil

Chuq and I opened the warehouse at 4 PM, as usual. Dan showed up and Chuq
helped him with some computer issues, which turned out to be that Dan's primary
hard drive was infested with viruses and the like, so a re-format was done.
While that was going on, Chuq and I moved gaylords around to get
printers/scanners out and ready for Goodwill/Dell Reconnect. The volunteers
from St. Casmir's helped in stacking printers onto pallets, and Chuq would take
the pallets to the plastic wrapping machine that RBHS has. Made the whole
process easier, except for when printers and scanners, being the various shapes
and sizes that they are, don't stack well and fell off. At the end of the
night, when rearranging the pallets, as soon as Chuq set one down, the whole
stack fell, so that will have to be restacked and re-wrapped prior to being
taken to Goodwill, which we plan on doing Thursday night.

After the stacking of printers and scanners (we have 8 pallets of them, 3
gaylords of bad monitors), Dan and the St. Casmir's group worked on demans. I'm
sure we still have a few printers/scanners laying around or scattered and mixed
in with other items.

Near the end of the night, about 20 guests showed up from the Urban
Entreprenuers group, including Ruby. While Chuq and I were moving pallets and
the empty gaylords that had contained the printers, Goose talked to this group,
explaining what is that we do. He also collected a list of 9 names with phone
numbers of people interested in volunteering. Chuq then talked to them while
showing them the warehouse. I was busy changing the tank on our forklift, the
stupid latch plate that holds the band down which in turn holds the tank down
was giving me a bit of a hard time; my mind was prety shot by then. Since we
are usually pretty full on Tuesday and Thursday nights, Chuq and I are thinking
about opening the warehouse on Monday as well. Even with Monday as a warehouse
day, I think we still can use volunteers on Tuesday and Thursday. He and I will
have to talk about this, but otherwise if we do decide to open the warehouse on
Monday, I will start calling the
 potential volunteers tomorrow (on Thursday). I can have these volunteers work
on demanning the Sun and Dell servers and write down the serial numbers for
each of the parts that we plan on selling on ebay.

The plan for Thursday is to count the P4/equivalent systems, and estimate the
number of periphals for the systems. Not hard to do really, if we just want to
keep in mind that if we have 100 systems, we will need 100 video cards, NIC
cards, keyboards, mice, and working monitors, plus RAM in case of dead
sticks/no sticks inside of the machines, which a number of the P4 Dell
computers that came from Notre Dame (I believe) are missing RAM.

I also got the Xerox copier working. Don't ask what I did, I'm not entirely
sure, I just messed with the sorting tray, the machine finally recognized it,
and it copies; not entirely well, so the glass plate may need cleaning or the
cartridges replaced, which we have in the bottom of the machine. I also had
found the missing main paper tray. So the question now is what to do with the
thing since it does work? Do we want to keep it (it does take up quite a bit of
space), sell it on ebay, or just take it to the Goodwill/Dell Reconnect
program? Either way, I'd like to move it out of the way in the server room
because of the space it does take up.

Sorry for not having a warehouse report over the past couple of weeks; after
coming home I've just been wiped out from volunteering and it was the last
thing on my mind. But here's a basic recap of those past couple of weeks:

Mostly deman work in addition to basically a liquidation process as outlined at
the last meeting. Mike Gryfik had picked out a nice Dell computer with a 3.2
GHz processor, and the machine is pratically DOA.

Finally, we need wire recycled, as the tub inside the server room is full, we
have several small cardboard boxes also filled with wire.

Phil Goldbach

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."