[frgeek-michiana] Warehouse Report - 10/31/2007

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 11:54:49 -0500

:: New Volunteer, Maybe Two

Jim C. from LaPorte attended his first FGM session. He likes it a lot.

Here's a coincidence. His wife, Karren, attended a lecture by Richard Stallman at a Greens national conference. Karren was impressed with Stallman's arguments for Free Software. She too is likely to volunteer some time at FGM.

:: 7 Degrees of John Gnubie

Jim and Karren know John Billings, aka John Gnubie, who now lives in New Zealand. It is a small world.

:: Clean Up

Jim and I swept and vacuumed the deman room and part of the server room.

Forest and I delivered two gaylords of our plastic to another recycler. We lose the gaylord/skids and must replace them, but get rid of plastic at no further cost.

:: FreeBox Count for Perley and Modems

I counted 24 completed FreeBoxes in our inventory at one point last night. I think Mike and Forest added 3 more later. We are about half way to the 60 units needed for the Perley School project.

The Perley PTA coordinator, Kristal, called me today. She has a PTA meeting scheduled for next Monday and another in December. She will raffle 2 FreeBoxes as door prizes at each meeting. I will hold a FreeBox class in December for the Perley winners.

We have a up to 4 weeks to research and test dialup modems, find a vendor and order stock for Perley FreeBoxes. Mike will search our list archive for previous posts on dialup modems for Vector Linux. He will also see what drivers are currently available in Puppy Linux. The Puppy project leader has set a goal of binary compatibility with Slackware; this will be a boon for us since Puppy has more advanced dialup capabilities than Vector Linux or Slackware.

Kristal is OK with charging Perley recipients our costs for dialup modems if the fee is around $10.00. She asked about printers, and I advised her not every printer is compatible with Vector Linux. Recipients should check with us before buying a printer. We need to prepare a list of low cost printers which are compatible with CUPS on VL 5.8 for FreeBox recipients.

VL 5.9-beta2 has been released. I don't know whether this release will remain in the VL 5.x tree or morph into VL 6.0. VL 5.x is based on Slack 11. VL 5.9-beta2 is based on Slack 12. Once we know what the final release version will be - I think VL 6 - we need to decide whether to upgrade the 24+ FreeBoxes set aside for Perley to the new VL Standard Edition.

http://www.vectorlinux.com/article.php?sid=27

:: Data Center Pickup

The network admin from the data center picked up the ATX mid-tower cases and the server cases. He gave me cash for the server racks and the cases.

:: Bathrooms

As soon as we empty the stored material in the bathrooms in our offices, the plumbing will be restored. We should start with the women's room because there is a men's room available elsewhere in the plant, but no women's room anywhere but our office.

This is a priority. The lease holder, our benefactor, asked me to clear out the women's bathroom. He has a female employee who is tiring of sharing a bathroom with the men in the plant.

:: New Rack Space Coming

Expect new rack space soon. Also expect to do a lot more deman work when it happens. The project to add rack space by our office will resurrect in about 3 weeks. Our warehouse benefactor needs more manufacturing and storage space for a new hose and fittings contract and wants to clear our gaylords from the rack space at the other end of the warehouse. They can't move our material until new rack space is erected.

####