[frgeek-michiana] Volunteers AND TUESDAY

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <csxt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:52:25 -0500

FGM tends to follow the mothership's philosophy for handling green volunteers. The ones the do have some computer experience goes to loading because they already have an understanding of computers to where someone has no experience goes to deman to take apart computers and learn about them at the same time.

One would think just taking a newbie to deman could be taken as 'were just getting them out of the way'. Exactly WRONG. With the right teacher, they:

1) LOSE THEIR FEAR of computers because they are working on them from second one
2) If they break something, who cares - were recycling it already
3) They learn about recycling as they LEARN about computer components
** You have to understand the components on a part to correctly deman it **

As they gain basic knowledge, they move to the eval and testing tables.

4) They learn to determine if something works or not (Eval)
5) In testing, they learn to find specifically what is wrong and repair it
6) Learn *IF* it's worth the trouble to fix or not

Finally, they move to the load tables...

7) Software... The hardest part...
    7a: Software is easy
    7b: Internet is crazy
7c: Teaching the difference between a hardware, software, internet issue That's the tough part.

I do agree. Getting them in the door is the easy part. Demonstrating to them:

8) Returning the system to those in need is a good thing
9) Free Software (more importantly freedom of choice) is very important
10) Good comes from what were doing at all levels.

In reference to it's easier training someone w/ experience then an newbie. That will always be true. We as an organization have to get better at taking newbies under our wings and training them. If they do not feel self worth in what they are doing, they will not return. I've been doing computers for 31-32 years now. Everyday I learn something new about them. EVEN in the old systems we work with.

*** EXPANDING THE SUBJECT ***

For Tuesday (and for quite a while) Make sure your wearing clothing that you do not care if they get ruined or not. As we work through the old stuff you will get very dirty.

The primary function right now is getting 16 systems together by early February. Tom needs them for TWO classes in February and since were taking volunteers now (Yeah!) we also need to make sure were building a reserve stock to meet their needs as they reach 16 hours.

Why haven't we taken volunteers before now? Most only want to deman, load or test systems. We had to setup, prep and find everything they need to do their jobs. Chuq reported he finally found mice. That was the last needed piece to get loading going. WE STILL NEED MICE. We will always need mice. We'll probably end up buying some at some point.

    Testing needs it's lights hung up and power strips located.

    Evaluation needs a light hung up and power strip located.

We need to get the Internet going. (Need to remember to email Tom, Comcrap not working again) Hey Comcast (Comcrap) Your favorite Linux distro, Postfix, Clamav, Spamassassin <<-- Enough said! (Seems I'm missing something there??????)

As of last Tuesday, I had ONE system capable of being wiped and installed. The drive wipe got done, it's ready for loading. There is a half a gaylord that needs going through to see if we have got QUALIFIED candidate systems for Freeboxes. The gaylord I pulled is badly mislabeled and very old stuff. Many of those systems were capable but need new CD-ROM's in them. Those are sitting on the testing table.

Deman, testing (repairs in this case) evaluation and loading positions all have something to do Tuesday.

We have pleanty of computers, monitors, power cords and keyboards. Mice are thin at best. We have plenty of spare parts to fix the systems that can be repaired easily. Basket cases go to deman.

    I need to get some sleep...

    Richard

On 01/17/2010 9:25 PM, Phil Goldbach wrote:
I don't think getting people to show up once is a problem, either. The hard part is getting them to come back, because we had a lot of people who'd show up once and they'd never show back up again.

It is better to only have a few show up at a time because once there is quite a few people it does get a bit hard to train them all and find something for everyone to do. Not to mention we're going to have people who'd prefer to learn how to install or deman, so the extra deman table is probably going to have to be built soon if we're going to bring in new volunteers. In addition, we're probably going to have people who have little or no experience to those with experience on computers. It's always been easier to train those who do have experience than those who don't in my opinion. Although I was thinking that it might be best if we had a couple blank pieces of extra wood to mount a motherboard, AGP/PCI video cards, NIC cards, and RAM, have it labeled to use a reference in showing new volunteers. There's also the guide to installing Vector 5.9 that I wrote up that is on the warehouse server.

And in case you all didn't know, the SBWD (South Bend Waste Disposal) facility on Fifth Street in Mishawaka is now into recycling computers and electronics. It's $12 for large items, like TVs. Businesses may drop off with prior permission from the district, according to the little flier. Not sure if that's something the board might want to consider as a spot to help get rid of some of our excess junk that either won't go to eBay or we can't really recycle ourselves.

Phil Goldbach

"Men cry not for themselves, but for their comrades."

        From: Chuq <chuq00@xxxxxxxxx>
        To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Saturday, January 16, 2010, 9:30 PM

        Read further into the post, unless it did not go through for
        some reason.. So here it is:
        "How ever we go about advertising for volunteers I think the
        biggest thing for us to do is to make sure that they contact
        Goose or myself first so we can make sure that we do not have
        an over abundance of people on one night and none on the next,
        plus we don't want 18 people showing up at one time on any
        given night.. just too many new faces for us to supervise.
        I am trying to get a Google voice number for people to call so
        that way I can return their calls, and also leave some
        information on the voice mail about it, but unfortunately the
        574 area is quite expansive and I am not finding anything that
        is "local" I am finding numbers for Royal Center Galveston
        Logansport Akron  Walton which are all 574 it is just that
        they may be faced with a toll call but most people have a cell
        phone anyways. Plus we can give them an email address to reply
        to. I feel that is going to be the best bet. You know we can
        only go so far to make things easy on the people if they have
to incur a small charge to get the info then that is what it will have to be. I will grab a number and post it when it is
        ready, and Goose if you could make us up an email address say
        volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        </mc/compose?to=volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> and give you
        and me access to it (and anyone else who would need it to
        field volunteers) or maybe have that email automatically
        forward the messages to us.
        Let me know before I pick a phone number if that sounds good
        to you..
        The Flier once it is made can say Call, Email, or TXT us at
        and then give the appropriate info..

        Just a thought. Once we make actual contact with the people we
        can then tell them the location of the building. On the flier
        we can put in the days and time and say that we are near
        Downtown South Bend, and Bus accessible.

        If someone wants to work on a rough draft of the flier and
        send it to us that would be great! We can always fill in the
        information needed.
        Printing should not be an issue, Goose has the printer at the
        warehouse ready to go I believe. I think we still need to find
        th color printer, which probably would be a nice thing to use
        for the fliers.

        Chuq"

        On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 20:45 -0500, Richard Zimmerman wrote:
        What phone numbers are these?
        I've noticed, they are all long distance numbers. Less then
        desirable...

        Richard

        On 01/16/2010 2:19 PM, Chuq wrote:
        I think right now if we can have 8-10 volunteers a night we
        will be good.. The biggest issue I see is that along with
        Goose and myself it would be really handy to have a seasoned
        volunteer in there with us so they can help with direction
        and overseeing...
        BTW Here is a sample list of numbers I found for us to use,
        any suggestions on it would be great!

        Royal Center, IN   (574) 643-1FGM ** Chuq's #1 pick

        Galveston, IN (574) 699-FGM6

        Galveston, IN (574) 699-FGM3

        Logansport, IN (574) 516-2FGM

        Galveston, IN (574) 699-FGM9    ** Chuq's #2 pick

        Walton, IN (574) 626-8FGM

        Galveston, IN (574) 699-FGM2

        Galveston, IN (574) 699-FGM4

        Galveston, IN (574) 699-3FGM

        Lucerne, IN (574) 889-0FGM

        Chuq

        On Sat, 2010-01-16 at 10:44 -0800, john jones wrote:
        or they can be on someone elses puter looking for a
        puter,to relieve the congestion and traffic i really think
        we should set a par on how many voulenteres we bring in cuz
        more then likely as b4 once they put in theyre hours and
        get theyre free box more then likely theyll be gone unless
        of course something goes wrong with it....

        *From:* Chuq <chuq00@xxxxxxxxx>
        </mc/compose?to=chuq00@xxxxxxxxx>