[frgeek-michiana] VL 6.0 auto updates

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown46628@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 20:15:08 -0700 (PDT)

Didn't know that VL 6.0 Std has an auto update system. I saw an autoupdate
icon, a small red ball with dual refresh arrows like on browsers, appear in my
taskbar today and clicked on it. Why not?

There were over 50 MB of updates waiting. This is great for newbs who then
don't have to learn package management to maintain a system. But convenience
has its downside. The desktop updates wiped out the "start" button and other
panel icons such as terminal, file mangager, vasm, browser. I put the icons
back, but how would a newb handle the situation?

Auto updates can sure break things.