[frgeek-michiana] Toshiba 2060CD Laptop

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free Geek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:46:09 -0500

Well...

  It's dead.. but NOT from what I thought it be...

History, about a year ago I played with the Toshiba laptop to see if VL could be installed on it... (IT could and worked) but the laptop had a really bad power problem... It kept dying even when on a power supply... The entire time it acted like the plug inside the laptop was loose.

Last night I took it home and worked on it til 1am... It's not the power plug.. I did find my power cable I used last time. My power supply is 13.8 volt / 3amp which is well inside the max for the laptop...

I disassembled the laptop to get to the power plug.. It's feeding power just fine to the motherboard... It's a component failure somewhere on the board.. And it had help.. The classic 'somebody spilled something in it' signs were everywhere.... Yup, board traces were eaten away / corroded. So, unless someone wants to order a new board for this thing... It's dead...

A quick search on ebay revealed 1 board with a known spillage and unknown working condition for $9.99.... Me thinks it's dead..

*** So ***

With Tom's permission, I'll take out the known good memory / card drive from it and:

1) we can then decide if we want to parts it out and try to make some $$$ on ebay

2) Thursday evening I'll run to the lab since a class is already scheduled there, pickup the two Gateways and see if i can get one good one from them. (Both of them have issues, but mainboard work.

  Ideas?

  Goose

--
Richard "Goose" Zimmerman
Safety Assistant / IT Guru

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>