[frgeek-michiana] Tcl wiki -- Wikit

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 11:56:49 -0500

For fun, I installed a Tcl based wiki (Wikit) on the server that hosts FGM's web site. I haven't linked it to the web site, although I might. It would be good for FGM core volunteers to collaboratively document projects. Wikit is pretty simple in keeping with the original concept of the wiki.

Wikit is a Metakit, a Tcl application with embedded database libraries (possibly Sqlite) and other Tcl extensions. Metakits run on a Tcl instance (Tclkit) which is a standalone executable. You don't have to install Tcl or a database separately to run Wikit. You don't even need a web server.

Metakits are cross-platform. Metakits are wrapped by Starkit. Starkits require Tclkits which are platform dependent. Once you install a Tclkit which matches your host OS, any Metakit should run without problem. Starkits allow developers to wrap up entire Tcl applications into a single file -- including the virtual file system, script directory trees, database libraries, web server, object oriented Tcl extensions, etc -- and install the file on any Windows, Mac or *nix box as a Metakit. I suppose you could even put Metakits on "live" CDs if you have the appropriate Tclkit available.

From the Starkit web page:

    'A Starkit is a wrapping mechanism for delivering an application in a
    self-contained, installation-free, and portable way. The name comes
    from being based on a StandAlone Runtime, called Tclkit.

A Starkit creates the illusion of a "file system in a file" - on the outside,
it's a single file, yet the application code continues to see a complete
directory of scripts, extensions, packages, images, and whatever other
files it needs. Starkits can be multi-platform. And they can be written to,
due to the underlying Metakit database.'

Wikit contains a built-in Tcl web server (tclhttpd) so you don't need Apache. I set up the test wiki on Apache anyway. Because of the native web server, Wikit can be embedded in a Tcl program (or any other program, I think) to provide help files or online docs.

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>