[frgeek-michiana] Tcl tclhttpd starkit

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:31:01 -0500

For more Tcls and giggles, I downloaded the pure Tcl implementation of a web server, TclHttpd, as a Starkit. Copied it to a directory on a Slack box and changed permissions and ownerships. That took all of 5 minutes. I spent a bit more time writing a .cgi wrapper for tclhttpd.kit and finding which port the server runs on by default -- 8015.

The result, I went from zero to a functioning web server in, oh, way less than 15 minutes. This Tclkit/Starkit/Metakit portable packaging and installation stuff is impressive.

http://www.tcl.tk/software/tclhttpd/

otoh, this stuff may not work on special purpose distros like Vector Linux. I copied the same files from the Slack 10.2 box to a VL 4.3 box. Then I spent an over an hour trying to get the Starkits to work on it. No luck. The logs aren't helpful either. Something is missing or configured improperly on VL 4.3. I haven't discovered what it is and probably won't try.

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>