[frgeek-michiana] Slack 10.1 on Gateway Solo 9550

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:23:13 -0500

Olin donated a Gateway laptop to FGM so we can use it to make presentations. Thank you, Olin.

Sunday afternoon I decided to put Slack 10.1 on it. The install was normal: partition, format, chose groups of packages to install, make a cup of coffee. I manually set up networking, printing and sound. Haven't tried to setup the modem yet.

1. PCI detection

A command line utility called lspci displays the pci devices detected during bootup. The list for the laptop appears to be correct.

2. Sound

The alsa package includes an ncurses setup utility called alsaconf. I ran that as root. alsaconf detected the appropriate sound device and installed the required drivers. The sound card it found matches the one in lspci. I ran several CD players and they all worked. kmix adjusts the sound volume and balance. However, I wiped out the Gateway install (Windows XP) and lost the use of the speaker and CD control buttons on the laptop.

3. CUPS

Slack installs CUPS and lpd. During the install, I didn't select CUPS to start on bootup so I manually enabled the CUPS printer daemon later: chmod 755 on /etc/rc.d/rc.cups; then: /etc/rc.d/rc.cups start.

You can setup CUPS manually, with a browser or using the KDE printing manager. I chose the latter to test it. If you have a CUPS server running anywhere on the network, the manager will scan for it. If you have a remote lpd server running, tell the manager the host name/address and the queue name and it finds the lpd server. The printing manager indeed detected a CUPS server on one computer and a lpd server on another system on my LAN.

4. Network

Slack has an ncurses network setup utility called netconfig, which I use frequently. Oddly, I had to reboot after running netconfig to make the laptop detect the LAN -- this doesn't usually happen.

5. Hot Plug

I don't have any hotplug devices to test.

6. Modem

The alsa sound software apparently contains drivers for the Intel 82801CA/CAM soft-modem on the Gateway Solo. I haven't tried to set it up.

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>