[frgeek-michiana] Re: Request for Instructions on Recycling

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:00:40 -0500

I recommend that you join the LTSP or K12LTSP lists. There is much more advice available there.

LTSP <ltsp-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
K12LTSP <k12osn@xxxxxxxxxx>

You will experience difficulty because of the age of your thin clients. LTSP does a good job of probing thin client hardware, finding PCI based expansion cards and setting up workstation profiles on the server. If at all possible use thin clients that are fully PnP and contain no ISA cards. The system RAM seems low. We find that 32 MB of RAM is a good minimum for thin clients. Any video card with less than 1 MB of video RAM will not do 800x600 resolution at 16 bit color. 512 KB will do 800x600 at 8 bit color. You may be limited to 640x480 and 8 bit color due to old video subsystems. Newer video cards are generally better supported by X-Windows (XFree86).

Tom

At 08:28 AM 4/28/04 +0545, you wrote:
My dear geek friends:

Many greetings!

I wish if anyone of you could give me a comprehensive reply on the
recycling of a few 486/DX2/66/8MBRAM machines recycled as thin clients.
We don't have resources to buy powerful machines except a PIII/1GHz
machine with 256MB RAM.

The current linux installation of Fedora Core has installed ltsp3 but we
can't figure out how to make the ltsp work on server and on the thin
client side.

Your help would be appreciated. Thanking you.

Sincerely
Alexa