[frgeek-michiana] Penguin Day

  • From: John Billings <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:59:09 -0600

Hi guys,

I met Oso and Ron from FREE GEEK Portland last week.  Went to
Philadelphia for a NTEN Nonprofit Technology conference. I posted a picture
on my homepage (newimprovedmedia.com). Mako Hill who is the project lead
for Debian NP was also there and now he is going to be working closer
with FREE GEEK to make their distro an official part of debian.  Also I just
wanted to invite you to Community Technology Day Chicago which
NPOTechs.org is organizing.  Here is the info:

April 24th
12 - 4PM
Korean American Community Services
4300 N. California Ave, Chicago

If you make the trek you can check out the FREE GEEK Database we
have tracked about 250 Gizmo's with it so far.  If not there has
been talk of having a midwest FREE GEEK meeting this summer sometime.
Ron and Oso both talked about trying to get funding to complete a set
of documentation and create other resources for startup FREE
GEEKs, like training videos and a better packaged distro. Even with
NPower sponsoring the event, and a lot of proprietary vendors there,
this conference had an overwhelming positive feeling about Free
Software/Open Source.

Geek out,
John GNUBIE

P.S. I also got to hear Eben Moglen give a talk on Free Software, very
inspiring.

--
John Billings - Free Software/Open Source Advocate