[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes, 3/30/04

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 16:49:06 -0500

Lab Notes, 3/30/04

Present: core volunteers - Olin Zuercher, Tom Brown, Jay Schlatter, Terry Click, Carl Madzela; 6:00 - 10:00 PM

Present: volunteers - Phyllis Chapman, Judy Bradley, Frank Bradley, Sherral Stamatovich; 6:00 - 9:00 PM

:: FreeBoxes

Nearly all lab activity centered around preparing 6 FBs for the class this coming Saturday. Core volunteers refurbed the boxes, installed Vector Linux and tested. Other volunteers cleaned the components.

We exhausted our supply of FreeBoxes and cannot conduct more classes until we receive more donated computers.

:: FreeBox Classes vs. Demanufacturing

Today (4/1/04) I have a waiting list of a dozen people who want computers. The situation makes demanufacturing all the more important.

We never intended to give away computers for passing a class. We implemented the classes to continually clear out our limited storage space. Since we weren't prepared to demanufacture, we couldn't place entry level volunteers into the recycling operation. The classes also create a buzz and considerable goodwill with recipients and the community at large.

But the truth is we need to ramp up recycling. We may be headed for a PR fork in the road. Demanufacturing just doesn't sound sexy as FreeBox does.Where are our Spin Doctors? How can we sex up demanufacturing, to use the Brit expression.

:: Demanufacturing Workbenches

Olin set up a test workbench. The consensus is the workbench is fine for most adult males but too high for the average female by several inches. I need to find supports (plastic trash containers) 35" tall. The test workbench functioned well for Olin.

:: Older Adults

One of the students from the FreeBox class for older adults was unable to pass the test and came to lab for more instruction and practice. I helped her as much as I could. I was also managing the FreeBox refurbing and working with Carl on modem issues.

Unfortunately the student was still unable to pass the test after 2 hours of practice and instruction. I set aside her computer and will hold it for two weeks. I recommended that she practice on a friend's FreeBox until she is 100% confident she can pass the test.

Working with older adults is a challenge. Mike, Jay and I talked about it at length after the lab. Some older students may need:

1. To volunteer for demanufacturing to earn a computer. They will gradually become familiar with computers in a less stressful environment than a high pressure 3 hour FreeBox class.
2. A loaner computer to practice on at home between classes. Older adults may have learning strategies which are not suited to classes and are uniquely their own.
3. 2-4x as much instruction, divided into smaller chunks, with practice time between lessons.

On the upside older adults are eager to volunteer time to FGM. They have no dependents at home so their schedules are flexible. Younger adults want to volunteer but have difficulty freeing time, particularly the parents of school age children. Retired adults are probably a dependable long term volunteer resource for FGM.

:: United Way Grant Application

Captains Jody and Nick Montgomery were impressed with the quality of our grant application. They were also impressed with the fact we put it together in 3 days.

The next step is a review board hearing. If the hearing board likes the program as outlined, they will recommend funding. The funding won't show up until fiscal year 2005. I know U.W. officials are eager to hear about FGM. Rhonda Brown of the U.W. said so when Nick and I met with her for guidance on the grant application.

:: Intel Controller-less Modem

Carl and I discussed strategy re cheap modems.

First, he will try to successfully compile and load the kernel module in VmWare GSX (virtual server). If a module will compile and load in GSX, it will certainly compile and load on a real machine. According to Carl GSX is very rigorous.

Second, we may have to compile a different kernel for VL modem installs. Carl may have to drop back to the 2.4.18 kernel to get the Intel HaM driver to work. He also believes it is worth investigating the 2.6 kernel. The 2.6 kernel should run faster on a low resource box than 2.4.

Third, Carl brought up devising our own distro. I almost choked on that one. If we use a 2.6 kernel, we are also looking at recompiling apps. At that point we might as well roll our own distro, which brings up long term support and maintenance issues. Carl favors Fedora as a base. I almost choked again.

Fourth, we may want to test purchase other inexpensive modems which are better supported for the Linux 2.4.20 kernel. Jay suggested purchasing used hardware modems (internal) for $15 at surplus. Unfortunately most of them are 28.8 kbps.