[frgeek-michiana] Re: Netvista 2800 again..

  • From: Hermann Schaefer <info@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:10:56 +0100

Am 10.12.2004 um 23:19 schrieb Mike Cook:

Have you thought of putting a boot manager such as Smart Boot Manager SBM
http://btmgr.webframe.org/ on the CF.
SBM allows booting from CD from nearly all PCs. There is a floppy disk
image of SBM included with Debian

Might be worth looking at it. But you can install ipcop on any standard PC, make an image of it and flash it to a CF - worked for me (was an older PC with a 800 PIII), you can run the setup again to choose the right NICs. The hardware of the 2800 is close enough to a standard PC.

This is the manual I usually consult first, NetVista N2800e Thin Client
Reference. I think it is the hardware manual although I think there is a
separate parts manual

I got those too, but they don't really say anything about the boot errors. There is another service hardware reference manual available - but only on paper. Don't have the link now, but I guess it was also referenced in the "normal" manual we have.

You don't by chance know which voltage is on which pin on the hard drive
connector on the mother board?

Not tested myself, but there's another little site about these machines. They try to install OS/2 : http://os4you.de/127.html
They tried a lot of OS's yet: http://os4you.de/127.html

I had it written down but can't seem to find
it anymore. I ran an older 3.5" drive with no problem; a bit of a tight
squeeze though. You should be able to fabricate a mounting bracket for a
2.5" drive and still have room left over for 1 pci card.

Need room for 2 NICs (LAN, Internet, DMZ).. so I need to put the drive somewhere close to the RAM-sockets. There already is some kind of a bracket there - at least, it look like as there was on available. Look at http://os4you.de/uploads/pics/img_tc005_640x480_01.png - near the right side of the RAM-slots is a (missing words in english - sorry.. ) I mean the hole for a screw.. no idea how to express this in english, sorry.. :)
I think I read it somewhere that there were brackets available from IBM. But.. well.. have enough old hardware to cut here.. ^^

I do like the 2800.  It is small, quiet, and makes a great LTSP (Linux
Terminal Server Project) diskless workstation
http://www.LTSP.org/contrib/netvista/netvista.html

Today I flashed ipcop 1.4.1 to a 256MB CF-card from Traxdata - 2800 booted without problems :) I don't have a bigger one yet, I might try it later. But for squid and the logs (snort..), I'd like to have the harddrive..
As soon as I got a little more time, I will attach the hd and stress the device in production. These molex-connectors were often used in older external cases for SCSI drives. Have to look for them.. in the basement.. *sigh*

greets, Hermann

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>